Mac won't detect Camcorder!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I have a Canon ZR 500 (miniDV camcorder) and a iMac G5. I am trying to download the video to my Mac for editing. The manual for the camera says to simply connect the camera via a DV cable (I have a DV to USB cable) and Image Capture will detect the camera automatically. Image Capture will not recognize the camera. I connect the camera, open IC manually and it reads "No Image Capture device connected". The camera is on (I set the Canon to camera-nothing, I set it to play-nothing). Am I using the wrong type of cable? Should I use a DV to Firewire cable? Or am I missing something else? Is there something else I need to do? I am so clueless here. I hope someone can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Try a FireWire cable. USB never seems to work properly. (even when it says it will)

OP
Rayitosdeluna
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Yeah, I think I'll get a Firewire cable. It would help me use my camcorder as a webcam too. Found one for $1.33 on Amazon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.