MAJOR issues in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video
one day after a software update, safari was unable to open up. it would bounce in the dock once, and then stop. the program hasn't opened up since. i downloaded firefox onto my mbp. from there, off of firefox i downloaded Safari. once i open up the dmg file it tries to install Safari, but when i choose my harddrive as the installation volume it says "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or newer." even though im working off leopard... please help, firefox is terrible compared to Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
one day after a software update, safari was unable to open up. it would bounce in the dock once, and then stop. the program hasn't opened up since. i downloaded firefox onto my mbp. from there, off of firefox i downloaded Safari. once i open up the dmg file it tries to install Safari, but when i choose my harddrive as the installation volume it says "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or newer." even though im working off leopard... please help, firefox is terrible compared to Safari.

Safari is crap, plain and simple... And I am shocked by the fact that you think Firefox is worse. I wouldn't attempt to fix a problem for such a crappy piece of software..

Try Opera..

http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?opsys=MacOS&lng=en&ver=9.51&platform=MacOS&local=y

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Safari is crap, plain and simple... And I am shocked by the fact that you think Firefox is worse. I wouldn't attempt to fix a problem for such a crappy piece of software..

Try Opera..

http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?opsys=MacOS&lng=en&ver=9.51&platform=MacOS&local=y

@ Intelligent:There's nothing wrong with Safari, its a great lightweight browser, but when it doesn't work, the situation sucks. IMO Opera isn't that great... but I still have to use it about 30 minutes a week. Oh and it comes with Illustrator.

@ Chris: Could you maybe try downloading a new copy from Apple site?
Also, is there anything you might have moved around since you got your computer? OSes don't like things getting moved around, although Mac handles it better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
@ Intelligent:There's nothing wrong with Safari, its a great lightweight browser, but when it doesn't work, the situation sucks. IMO Opera isn't that great... but I still have to use it about 30 minutes a week. Oh and it comes with Illustrator.

Oh yeah, and when does it work?

OP
chrisdistaulo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video
great help kmkl, i havent had a lot of advice on the subject. do you mean try to download a new copy of Safari? I have, but alas, it didn't work. i dont think i did but maybe i deleted a plist or something by accident. im using firefox and it really doesnt compare to Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Download and install the OS X 10.5.4 combo updater. It should put the Safari that comes with it in your Applications folder. As for Safari's ability as a browser, I think it's certainly better than Firefox 2 but not quite as good as Firefox 3. And it's nice and light/speedy, though Safari 3 started doing strange things with RAM usage. It's not a piece of crap by any means, and it ALWAYS works for me. And, for the record, the Safari 4 preview is still the only web browser that can pass every criterion of the Acid 3 test as far as I know, making it more standards-compliant than Opera or Firefox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.