• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP! HDV to DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5GH 2GB RAM 200GB
Hello All,

I am a recent convert from PC to Mac. I have a Canon HV30 High-Def camcorder. I am able to get my video into iMovie and compose it without problems. However I am having trouble figuring out how to get that video output IN HIGH-DEF to something playable in HD on a tv.

The ideal situation would be to burn a regular DVD that will play in a blu-ray player (I have a PS3). I know that AVCHD format can play direct in a blu-ray player. I would imagine there is some other way to get HDV formated content to play in a blu-ray player.

The only other options i have found that seem to work are: 1) record the video back to the miniDV tape and play through the camcorder - that option sucks!
2) get an appleTV and send the HD content to the AppleTV - but I don't want to spend the money on an AppleTV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When you created the movie project did you tell the application that the movie to be created is HD. As in create a new project, from thee you tell it where you want to save the project and the video format you are using. Now this is iMovie HD 6.0.4 and not iMovie 7.1.2.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5GH 2GB RAM 200GB
Now this is iMovie HD 6.0.4 and not iMovie 7.1.2.

I have a new MacBook Pro so I only have the iMovie that came with iLife... I believe that is version 7. I'm thinking of getting FCE though.

Either way, I thought it had to do with the conversion and processing at burn time, not in the video editing software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.88, MacBook, G5 iMac
Creating Blueray DVDs

Hello All,
The ideal situation would be to burn a regular DVD that will play in a blu-ray player (I have a PS3). I know that AVCHD format can play direct in a blu-ray player. I would imagine there is some other way to get HDV formated content to play in a blu-ray player.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have not done it yet, but I am edit HD videos from HF100 using iMovie/FCE and I will be using Toast Titanium 9 with the Blue Ray option. Just one warning, earlier versions of Toast 9 was bugging. You can make a BDMV folder (Blue ray directory structure) and record it on DVD and play it on a Blueray player. I have burned a AVCHD BDMV folder on DVD and played it back on a PS3.

Al

AC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.