Seeking Help in Buying a MacBook!

Reaction score
Hi Mac Forums! I'm currently a Windows (PC) user, and am willing to switch to Mac. I'm planning of buying a MacBook (2.4Ghz Black) in about September. Is it wise to buy the current version of MacBook or it is more worth it to wait until next revision of the Apple Notebooks line? Another question, I have read some speculations that Apple will be updating the MacBook and MacBook Pro in Q3 2008 i.e. should be any day now! Are these speculations and rumors correct? Thanks! :)

OP
darrenscerri
Reaction score
I've already visited that site and literally studied it. It says that the MacBook is in the Neutral range, meaning that it is safe to buy, while others speculate that an update is imminent (Q3 2008 i.e. now!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz 15"
i would say go ahead and buy it now, it's worth it! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
I'd wait until September. Then look and see what that site or anybody else says.

No point rushing in and finding out that there's a revision after you've bought one. I bought mine about a month before the last revision, mine can only use 2Gb of RAM and has a slightly slower CPU, doesn't bother me that much but i do wish i'd waited.

I doubt any revision (if any) will be huge.

OP
darrenscerri
Reaction score
I agree that if there will be a revision it will be minor, or just some design change and feature additions and not Processer speed etc. Penryn processers go up till only 2.6Ghz, which the MacBook Pro uses, and it is most unlikely Apple to upgrade the MacBook with a 2.6GHz which costs $1499 with a 2.6Ghz and leave the MacBook Pro with a 2.6Ghz with a price tag of $2499. That would make the MacBook and the MacBook Pro equal performance-wise (except for the dedicated VGA). The only difference would be the design and the bigger screen, but I am a college student, so a 13.3" is perfect for portability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
the current macbook revision is very safe, as it is the revision E, so many problems would be pointed out already. since the new portables are expected within the next 2 weeks, it's your decision whether or not to buy the macbook. it may be possible that you like the current design and not the upcoming design...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
The only update I can see coming is the possibility of Intel's Centrino 2... That's just about it, pretty minor, maybe a faster CPU choice..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.