Parallels destroyed ability to boot windows via Boot Camp and virtually

Reaction score
I have a brand new Macbook Pro, freshly updated installation of Windows XP dual booted on the machine with Boot Camp. I think I upgraded XP to SP3 but I can't be entirely sure.

Anyway, I thought I'd try Parallels but what a mistake it has turned out to be. While trying to start the virtual machine for the first time in a window in Leopard using the Boot Camp option, it gave me a Black Screen of Death. I had no choice but to stop the virtual machine since there was not way to shut Windows down gracefully.

Now Windows no longer boots. I get a missing hal.dll error when trying to boot Windows via boot camp. When I try to boot into Windows via Parallels, I keep getting the BkSOD

Seems to me Parallels is just worthless. How a company could release a piece of software that breaks things like this is beyond me. I will follow the instructions on the Parallels website to repair Windows and get this malware off my laptop.

If you have any advice on the right procedure to follow---there seem to be a couple of different procedure for fixing a hosed Windows installation in the Parallels Knowledge Base---I'm all ears. I don't really trust Parallels support at this point as it doesn't seem like they know what they are doing and I'd hate to have to reinstall everything.

If this has happened to you, please let me know what you did to fix things up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.