Need help setting up printer

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a first time mac user so please bare with me if I ask anything stupid. I've kind of familiarized myself with the operating system. I have a Powermac G4 running Leopard (10.5.4). What I want to do is to be able to print from my mac. My current setup is this: I have the printer (Epson r320) connected to a printer server (connected to a Linksys wireless router) which is assigned a static IP address (192.168.1.25). When i run the printer setup in Leopard, I click on the IP tab to set it up that way since I know the IP address but when I go to print, it doesn't do anything. I need help to figure out what I'm doing wrong. My mac has a built in wireless card and has no problems connecting to the internet. I'm not looking to connect or share files with the other computers on the network.

If more info is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Wy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
First off, does Leopard support your printer? The easiest way to find out is to plug it in directly to the G4. It should see it right away. You need to determine the IP address of your printer. Then put that in instead of your router's IP address.

OP
C
Reaction score
First off, does Leopard support your printer? The easiest way to find out is to plug it in directly to the G4. It should see it right away. You need to determine the IP address of your printer. Then put that in instead of your router's IP address.
Hi John,

Yes it does support it. The address of the printer is 192.168.1.25. The router's IP address is 192..168.1.1 which I haven't used.

Wy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
crazysxycool,

Have you installed the printer drivers? Should be on the Printer's CD, your Leopard install disk or in System Preferences/Print & Fax/Options and Supplies/Drivers.

Do you have your firewall set up to allow the printer (printer sharing)? You may need to go to Sharing and set up the printer there also...

Noel

OP
C
Reaction score
crazysxycool,

Have you installed the printer drivers? Should be on the Printer's CD, your Leopard install disk or in System Preferences/Print & Fax/Options and Supplies/Drivers.

Do you have your firewall set up to allow the printer (printer sharing)? You may need to go to Sharing and set up the printer there also...

Noel
Hi Noel,

Per the Epson website, the drivers are already included on the Leopard disc so I assumed when the operating system was installed that it also installed the printer drivers. How do I check to see if they are installed? There was a screen where I could choose the driver i wanted to use but I didn't see mine listed in there. I have not installed a firewall on the computer yet.

Wy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Noel,

Per the Epson website, the drivers are already included on the Leopard disc so I assumed when the operating system was installed that it also installed the printer drivers. How do I check to see if they are installed? There was a screen where I could choose the driver i wanted to use but I didn't see mine listed in there. I have not installed a firewall on the computer yet.

Wy

Wy,

Go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and your printer should appear there. Select it. Then go to Options & Supplies and in there click on the tab Drivers. It should list your driver. If it doesn't, it's not installed. If not installed, click on that scroll bar and select the driver from it...

The Macs already have a firewall. Go to System Preferences/Security, and click on the firewall tab. There it is...

Noel

OP
C
Reaction score
Wy,

Go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and your printer should appear there. Select it. Then go to Options & Supplies and in there click on the tab Drivers. It should list your driver. If it doesn't, it's not installed. If not installed, click on that scroll bar and select the driver from it...

The Macs already have a firewall. Go to System Preferences/Security, and click on the firewall tab. There it is...

Noel
Noel,

All is good now. The driver wasn't showing up so I ran the software update and installed it that way. Thanks for your help.

Wy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noel,

All is good now. The driver wasn't showing up so I ran the software update and installed it that way. Thanks for your help.

Wy

Wy,

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.