No MMS

Reaction score
Is MMS a possible third party add on? I just want to know if I should get my hopes up for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Is MMS a possible third party add on? I just want to know if I should get my hopes up for this.

There are 3rd party applications for jailbroken phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Which means there could be one in the works for the app store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
you know, I would think that after allowing Office files to be read via e-mail, they would have MMS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You'll never see an MMS app in the app store. If MMS is ever added on, AT&T will add it and for a price to send and receive.

This is another reason why Apple having complete control over apps on the iphone is bad for us consumers. Apple and AT&T can completely control the applications and charge you for certain functions if they want to. They don't do that with you regular computer, and since the iPhone is simply a handheld computer, I am completely against it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
There WAS an app available for Jailbroken phones. It is not compatible with 2.0 yet. The developer submitted the app to the app store but it got denied. Which as stated above means it will probably never happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Personally, I have no use for MMS on my iPhone. If I want to send a picture I'll email it.

I tried SwirlyMMS on my original iPhone and it was a PITA to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
and since the iPhone is simply a handheld computer, I am completely against it.
The iPhone may be a handheld computer, but it is still a cellphone first and foremost, and has the responsibility of working as reliably as possible. Just look at Windows Mobile devices to get an idea of what programming freedom can become. It's a mess. Even with how much control Apple is having over the app store, I still have seen a drop in reliability of these phones since the 2.0 update, due to the 3rd party apps. Imagine if there was no control. I wouldn't always be so quick to condemn a company trying to keep a certain degree of QC and support.

Either way, Apple isn't the one who cares about MMS, it's AT&T. And of course, MMS isn't exactly free on any other phone either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The iPhone may be a handheld computer, but it is still a cellphone first and foremost
And as such it should have MMS like every other mobile with a camera. It should at the very least give the consumer the choice.

If AT&T wants to limit iphone customers then fine but why there isn't an MMS app from Apple for Phone companies who are willing to give their customers MMS.
Email doesn't cut it. There are a huge number of people out there who just don't use email on mobiles. Add to that even fewer have push email so they don't get a notification that an email has arrived. It's no substitute for MMS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
And as such it should have MMS like every other mobile with a camera.
True, but it's mysterious exclusion out of the box is a different story. I don't see the benefit of denying MMS apps unless there's a substantial amount of changes needed under the hood for it to work properly, which I don't really believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone may be a handheld computer, but it is still a cellphone first and foremost,

I would disagree. The difference is subtle but the iPhone is really a Handheld computer that happens to be a phone as well. It is marketed and sold as being a cell phone first and foremost but it is not designed as one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They work fine for me. :)

It meant that you couldn't send an MMS to an iPhone via this method. Did it work for you? I have not yet tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I would disagree. The difference is subtle but the iPhone is really a Handheld computer that happens to be a phone as well. It is marketed and sold as being a cell phone first and foremost but it is not designed as one.
Well, I was referring to what it's marketed as since that's what drives Apple's decisions on the subject at hand. In fact, I use the phone part of my iPhone less than games, ipod, email or web browsing. Though, what it is to someone isn't the same for everyone, there still is a $2K phone contract required to use the device. Kind of hard not to think of it as a phone with that looming in my head. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There WAS an app available for Jailbroken phones. It is not compatible with 2.0 yet. The developer submitted the app to the app store but it got denied. Which as stated above means it will probably never happen.

That just proves how this monopoly on third party apps is being abused. It's total BS.

The iPhone may be a handheld computer, but it is still a cellphone first and foremost, and has the responsibility of working as reliably as possible. Just look at Windows Mobile devices to get an idea of what programming freedom can become. It's a mess. Even with how much control Apple is having over the app store, I still have seen a drop in reliability of these phones since the 2.0 update, due to the 3rd party apps. Imagine if there was no control. I wouldn't always be so quick to condemn a company trying to keep a certain degree of QC and support.

1. there's plenty of buggy apps out there with Apple filtering, so what's the difference, and 2. who says you have download every POS app that's developed? As with any computer program, you have to use some sensibility and research to decide what programs you want or don't want. If your phone becomes a buggy POS because you're downloading buggy programs, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Do you let people make all of your other decisions for you in life??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
1. there's plenty of buggy apps out there with Apple filtering, so what's the difference, and 2. who says you have download every POS app that's developed? As with any computer program, you have to use some sensibility and research to decide what programs you want or don't want. If your phone becomes a buggy POS because you're downloading buggy programs, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Do you let people make all of your other decisions for you in life??
I agree that the consumer has a responsibility for some discretion, but it's helpful to have a stakeholder involved. I still think it's not nearly as bad as other handheld 3rd party app communities. And I also don't condone abusing the system either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still think it's not nearly as bad as other handheld 3rd party app communities. And I also don't condone abusing the system either.

Agreed. There are a ton of Apps out there for the Palm world but there is little vetting as to what actually what works on what devices. With Palm switching OSs around so much these days, and backward compatibility seemly not even a remote thought for them, it is even worse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.