Darwin issues, ive tried most things, any advice greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im having a bit of an issue with my macbook pro...

Its a new machine (to me anyway, i brought it second hand so apple warranty is out of the question I havent even got round to getting apple care yet!), as I was adding my music to my new itunes the machine hung, so i left it for a while... still hanging, left it for half hour and it was still hanging, so I forced a shutdown. Now it only boots as far as Darwin!

I have entered my master user name and password into Darwin and it accepts them, but does nothing!

I have also tried booting in single user mode and trying a number of things I have found on the net and on here, but i still cant get anything to work.

If I run fsck -fy in single user I get a few lines with no errors and **The volume Macintosh HD appears OK.

If I run only fsck -y (so not forcing the check of journalled areas) I get the error messages...

Vpd: Cannot read VPD keys

PNMI GetStruct failed

Im a bit lost here now, can anyone help?

I had the hard drive die on my old powerbook, but that was far more drastic than whats happening here. So im hoping its just a software issue that can be reolved.

At the end of the day I have all my work and photos on my old powerbook so will still only lose my music if I need to reformat, but is there any other way around this?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

OP
T
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do from Darwin? As I can get logged into that? But cant find any info on command lines for Darwin anywhere. Im a bit new to the inner workings of a mac so forgive me if Im being simple here.

Thankyou

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok Ive got somewhere further now...

I can run diskutil from Darwin, I checked permissions and got a long list of Library/flash player..... and something else along those lines, but all regarding flash player, which I had just installed before the macbook died. So Im guesing that flash player is the issue.

Can I remove flash player through Darwin?

Also though, while verifying the permissions I get the message...
parent directory ./Users/Shared/SC Info does not exist

Thanks

Reaction score
i personally know nothing, but, im sure the guys down in the DARWIN FORUM can help you ;)

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks gosine, is that a sub forum on here?
or elsewhere on the net. Sorry, but Im new to these parts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.