Drive speed? 5400 vs 7200

Reaction score
hey, im kinda new here, i read alot but this will be my first post/thread (i think)

anyways.. im going to be doing music production.. and well is the 5400rpm gonna cut it? i read that 7200rpm is good, but it causes a 5% power loss.. so.. what is the deal guys!

also, if possible help ASAP would be nice, as im buying it tomorrow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
the.gosine,

It's true you'll get better through-put with the 7200RPM drive, but not sure it would be worth the cost to change. Why don't you try your productions with the 5400RPM and see how well you think it performs. If you don't like it, then you can always change later on.

Good luck with your MBP, you're going to love it!

Noel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
hey, im kinda new here, i read alot but this will be my first post/thread (i think)

anyways.. im going to be doing music production.. and well is the 5400rpm gonna cut it? i read that 7200rpm is good, but it causes a 5% power loss.. so.. what is the deal guys!

also, if possible help ASAP would be nice, as im buying it tomorrow!

Welcome to the forum....:)

Music production is going to require lots of space not necessarily speed. The difference in access speed of most 5400 vs 7200 RPM drives, IMO, is not enough to be worth paying the extra $$$. (I'm sure there are gamers and other folks who have 7200 RPM drives who will disagree.) My personal preference would be to purchase as large a drive as you can afford. My understanding is that you can now buy a 500 Gb drive for your MBP (5400 RPM).

7200 RPM drives causing a 5% power loss - where did you hear that? Drives which rotate at 7200 RPM may generate a bit more heat and possibly run somewhat louder than those that rotate at 5400 RPM but should not cause power loss.

Regards.

The choice of drives is up to you. It's your $$$ (or plastic). ;D

OP
the.gosine
Reaction score
WHAT?! 500GB HD FOR MBP!?

lol, its okay, ill just get a simple ram upgrade to 4gb. and leave it as 200gb 5400rpm hd.

when it comes to space, ill use my 1tb TC, and... yeah, thanks for everything guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5ghz
I was thinking about the same thing and I just got mine a week ago. I looked at a lot of drives and the difference was only like 1ms or less for almost all of them. I ended up going with the 5400rpm drive and plan on spending the money on upgrading to 4gb ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.