iBook 1.2 not recognising 1GB Crucial memory

C

crisrose

As the title says, i've bought a 1gb memory upgrade for my 1.2 Ghz iBook (yes it is the correct unit) but when i turn it on, it only sees the 256mb built in, and says the expantion slot is empty.

I bought the 1gb upgrade because i did buy a 256mb one from Crucial through Ebuyer, and that didn't work either.

Has anyone else suffered this? Is there any solution? Surely it's not more dodgy RAM!!

I don't want to have to return the iBook if that's the problem as i am becoming more and more dependant on it. If i have to, what is Apple like in this respect?

This is my first Mac after 15 years of PC use, and up an til now it's been a delight. Suddenly i feel like i own a PC again.

What happened to "it just works"?

PS. I'm in the UK.

Cheers
--
Cris

OP
C

crisrose

Crucial replied very quickly:

Thank you for your enquiry.
Please try and reseat the module once more.
The basic installation procedure for installing an SODIMM is to place it at a 45 degree angle into the slot and then apply downward pressure on the module until is locks into the side clips. Furthermore, when you first push the module into the slot at the 45 degree angle, please give the module a firm push and press it down into the side clamps. Please note that it is possible to have the module locked into the side clamps without the module being fully seated in the slot.

If this does not work let us know.

---

I did as the man said, and it was IMPOSSIBLY hard to force the chip in, but it finally gave way and sat much futher in

this solved the problem.

i really didn't want to over force it and break it!!!

5 times the memory certainly makes a difference, especially on half gig Photoshop and illustrator files!

--
Cris

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Omg, I'm getting my 1.2Ghz 12" Apple iBook soon with 256MB RAM from Crucial soon. Hope everything goes fine for me as well!

OP
C

crisrose

just remember - be more brutal than you think you can be, and do it at 45 degrees not 30.

you can clip it in without it being seated properly!

when i bought mine, i also treated it to an apple bluetooth mouse and an airport express. I'd recommend both!

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Mine comes with Airport Extreme built-in as standard but I decided to forget about Bluetooth since I have no need for it. Plus, the good quality Bluetooth mice are too expensive for me at the moment so I'm just gonna get an USB optical one for the moment. My iBook shipped today SO I CAN'T WAIT! Might have to wait until early next week though...:(

OP
K

keyvan

crisrose said:
Crucial replied very quickly:

Thank you for your enquiry.
Please try and reseat the module once more.
The basic installation procedure for installing an SODIMM is to place it at a 45 degree angle into the slot and then apply downward pressure on the module until is locks into the side clips. Furthermore, when you first push the module into the slot at the 45 degree angle, please give the module a firm push and press it down into the side clamps. Please note that it is possible to have the module locked into the side clamps without the module being fully seated in the slot.

If this does not work let us know.

---

I did as the man said, and it was IMPOSSIBLY hard to force the chip in, but it finally gave way and sat much futher in

this solved the problem.

i really didn't want to over force it and break it!!!

5 times the memory certainly makes a difference, especially on half gig Photoshop and illustrator files!

--
Cris

Oh thank you so much! I was really pissed off just now, and I searched the forums and found this, I had the exact same problem. Now its working, 1.25 GB of ram baby :). And yes, it does kick ***. I love my ibook. Now i just have to put my new 80 GB hdd in there... lol, this is gonna be a project, not gonna start tonight.
-keyvan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I am starting to realize how common my new ibook is, im glad to know we are all smart consumers! I am planning on buying a 1gig stick of ram for my ibook in January, so I will post my results then. I had airport extreme built in as well, and I also opted not to get the bluetooth. I just have no use for it right now. In 5 years when I buy my G6 ibook, if its a standard then, I'll get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.