Disk Utility Crashes on 'Erase'

Reaction score
Hey,

I have USB 2.5" 320gb Western Digital HD I have been trying to format. This, in preparation to Super Duper my current MBP drive over to make a bootable clone and eventually put the 320gb hard drive in my Macbook Pro

Anyway, whenever I attempt to erase the drive and format for MAC, Disk Utlility crashes. Sorry I'm at work and don't have my MAC with me, so don't remember some of the terminology.

Something of interest, Disk Utility sees the eternal usb drive as one generic entity, but nothing seems to be mounted- and it's like I can't do anything with it. So if I plug into my PC, And I have an option of formating the drive (NFTS), which do- to see what happens -then I plug it back into the MAC. I then see the new volume I have created on my PC in disk utility and I got to format this, erase etc. and that is when it CRASHES.

Very convolluted, sorry. I'm well over spending so much time on this stuff. I have things to do by god!!!

Thanks.

Macbook Pro 2.33ghz 15"
Tiger

OP
G
Reaction score
I should actually say Disk Utility FREEZES. The colour wheel keep spinning, but in the activity monitor it says Disk Utility is not responding.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

When you get home post back and relate the exact error(s). In the meantime,

With the drive on your desktop, open Disk Utilities and click on the line that shows the external disk capacity. Now click erase. Select the desired format
Mac OS Extended (HFS +).

Change the name of the drive if desired.

Click erase at the bottom of the screen, then click erase again on the second window. Should take about 5 minutes or so to complete the process. (formatting)

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
hi chscag,

thanks a lot, i sorted it out. for some reason i was not selecting the 'generic external media' usb drive. that's all i needed to do. who knows what i was thinking....

but i will ask, is MAc OS Extended (HFS +) and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) the same thing?

regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They are the same format, journalling just adds n extra layer of security to HFS to protect the disk and data in the even of a crash

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.