Input Microphone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Hey guys.

I'm just wondering .. My mic has not been working.. So what I have done was bought another one.. Didn't work either. Anyway. We use vent at work. I can say we're all switchers. So normally I need my mic to be fully functional. Okay. Here's the part which I felt was quite unacceptable. I went to a local reseller , www.machines.com.my. They told me that macs dont have that function, the 2 guys at the genius bar was blabbering something about the mic only being available with garage band and that if you wanted to use vent, you have to get an usb mic.

Is there any way to prove that so I can claim my warranty? I find it very very very annoying to not have a mic when we're having a conference call on skype or vent and that I have to type instead of talk.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Uh.... yeah. Your mic should be working universally - mine does.

Check in System Preferences, you should be able to test your Mic here:

micsettings.png

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
So.. I went to another Machines branch, again. They told me that I have to use the USB mic thingy. I've tested what cwa107 said. Line in doesn't work anymore. Anyway.. Is there like any way I can like PROVE to them or something? They keep blabbering something about garage band and said that its functions for the line in mic is limited. My warranty expires on the 15th of July. Which is soon. I need some help quick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
The Mac's have the line in port, which means of you plug in a normal mic it won't work as the line in port of the mac is not powerful enough to power a mic. To get around it you can either use an externally amplified mic or USB mic. By externally amplified mic I mean, for example, you can use your old stereo system's line in port to plug in your regular mic that you use with pc & then give your stereo's output to your mac's line in.

Hope that makes sense..

cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Mac's have the line in port, which means of you plug in a normal mic it won't work as the line in port of the mac is not powerful enough to power a mic. To get around it you can either use an externally amplified mic or USB mic. By externally amplified mic I mean, for example, you can use your old stereo system's line in port to plug in your regular mic that you use with pc & then give your stereo's output to your mac's line in.

Hope that makes sense..

cheers

Ah hah! That makes sense... noted for future reference.

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh.. Sweat.. @@ Okay.. Looks like I'll have to stick with USB then.. T_____T

Thanks anyways

Reaction score
Or get a USB sound card like I have - Its a little white External Sound card made by griffin - its the Imic 2
Looks safe and works great - 20quids - I got my pimp sennheiser hedphones for wow vent - PEW PEW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.