Playing old Blizzard games?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd
I spent a while searching, but I could only find answers for newer games...

Is it possible to get Diablo 1 or Warcraft 2 to play on my new MacBook? I went to install Diablo, and it said the classic environment is not supported. If I go buy the battle chests, would the versions in those play on OS X?

Thanks for any help.

-Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Blizzard has released installers that provide native support in OS X for Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and Diablo 2. For older versions, you have 2 options.

Firstly, you can get a Classic Mac OS emulator, like SheepShaver. This option requires an emulator that simulates the Classic Mac hardware and a copy of the Classic Mac OS. This all takes a bit of processor overhead, but might not be so bad for games as old as those.

The 2nd option is to run the Windows versions of those games using Crossover. Crossover is an app that lets you run Windows apps/games under OS X (and Linux) without actually installing Windows. Key advantge is low processor overhead since you aren't emulating any hardware or running a secondary OS. Support is hit or miss though. Some things work better than others. Crossover Pro 7 was recently released and many more apps work with fewer bugs than ever before. In the case of Warcraft 2, from reading the forums it seems it works flawlessly in single-player mode. Battlenet doesn't work. Diablo 1 has had issues, but there is a patch and tips that will get it working. No feedback on how it works under Crossover 7 yet... chances are good that it's less troublesome.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd
Thanks for the info.

I had seen the installers for the other games... was hoping they were out for the older games!

I do also have windows installed with bootcamp, so I guess for now I'll just play them on there.

Thanks!

Reaction score
help!

Hi I just received my first macbook, im pretty sure it is a few years old (one of the black ones) but in great shape. I took it to the apple store and they updated it to OS 10.6.3. I am very novice with computers so bear with me....

I have been trying to install old games diablo1, warcraft 2, dust, etc. Now I understand there is no more classic and me trying to run such old games is probably not a good idea, but i really want to try anyway. I have zero experience with emulators and was wondering if someone had some ideas or help. Sheepshaver seems to be what everybody thinks is the answer, but the installation process and creating a blank disk seemed kind of over my head. Just wanted to get some feedback.

here is my hardware info

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.17f0
Serial Number (system): W87361TCZA9
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B6332F60C
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Thanks for your time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.