Stuck on which MacBook

Reaction score
Hi, Not sure if this is in the right section.... but i'm new here so maybe i can be forgiven!

Currently i use a PPC g4 (quicksilver) 800MHz and 1.5Gb ram with 32Mb GeForce graphics card....

I am currently looking to buy a macbook of some description. The programmes that i will mostly use on it include CaptureOne Pro (to shoot tethered from digital cameras), and Photoshop CS3. I will also be doing the usual web browsing, and although i rarely play any games, i may do from time to time.

Obviously my first choice would be to go straight for a macbook pro! However after i have been doing some research i have noticed that many people seem to think that this is unwarranted..... Lots of guys reckon i'll notice virtually no difference between a Pro and an ordinary Macbook (provided i upgrade the memory to 4GB). Screen size doesn't bother me too much as i will plug into a larger monitor (19") most of the time.

Above i mention the desktop i mostly use (which is a little slow now) and would like to know if it would be a drastic performance improvement over what i already have too (for whichever macbook).

Is it really worth the 200quid ($400) saving getting an upgraded macbook rather than just going with the MBP?

Any help will be gratefully received..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
it all depends on what games. I may be wrong but with cs3 as it does not use any or much 3D rendering you wont notice much difference speed wise between the mb and the mbp. So your decision is dependent on games, really depends how much games you want to play and which ones, if you serious about games then don't even bother, have a desktop aswell as a mb.. thats what i do because most laptops are rubbish for games. Having said that if you want to play the odd game and don't care about running it in low settings go with the MB i have the brand new MB with 4gb of ram (upgraded myself) and it flies along.

OP
L
Reaction score
Games are really not important, i'm not serious about them...

Thanks Dec540, i had read that PSCs3 wasn't especially graphics card hungry, but howabout the Tehering and import of 30Mb files direct from Camera using Capture One Pro? Has anyone used the MB for this? I know it works fine on the MB Pro.

Also i read somewhere that video wasn't as good on the MB, but i am guessing it would play an 800Mb .avi file without any problems whatsoever.... right? (or a DVD).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
i watch dvd's, tv shows off itunes etc on mine all the time. works great. not to sure about capture one pro though sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.