Oops

Reaction score
Hi all,

Once again, I need your help. I was deleting a Windows trial program and it seems that my system preferences went with it. Any help and/or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
System restore?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes? You have ideas?

I believe INTELligent was referring to the System Restore function in Windows - as you mentioned that it was a Windows program you were having trouble with. In Windows XP, the System Restore feature can be accessed in Start => All Programs => Accessories => System Tools => System Restore.

OP
J
Reaction score
I believe INTELligent was referring to the System Restore function in Windows - as you mentioned that it was a Windows program you were having trouble with. In Windows XP, the System Restore feature can be accessed in Start => All Programs => Accessories => System Tools => System Restore.

Thank you for posting. The Preferences I was hoping to restore is Mac, not Windows. I should have been more clear.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for posting. The Preferences I was hoping to restore is Mac, not Windows. I should have been more clear.

OK, I'm still not quite understanding what you're referring to. You said:

I was deleting a Windows trial program and it seems that my system preferences went with it

So, you say "Windows trial program", what is the program you're referring to?

...and, further, what System Preferences are now missing?

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, I'm still not quite understanding what you're referring to. You said:

So, you say "Windows trial program", what is the program you're referring to?

...and, further, what System Preferences are now missing?

I'm missing Mac Preferences. In other words, when I click on the Apple Icon and click on the Preferences from the drop down menu, nothing happens. I hope this clears that up. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I understand where you're coming from now. Is it possible that the System Preferences Application (which resides in your Applications folder) has somehow been relocated or renamed?

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, I understand where you're coming from now. Is it possible that the System Preferences Application (which resides in your Applications folder) has somehow been relocated or renamed?

That would be great but I did a search and found nothing. I also tried re-installing Preferences from my start up disks but had no positive results. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Just curious...is the System Preferences icon still in the dock?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to restore it from your System Discs, however, you'll need a utility called Pacifist to do so. With Pacifist, you can extract just the System Preferences application for the disc and drop it into your Applications folder. That should do the trick.

OP
J
Reaction score
You should be able to restore it from your System Discs, however, you'll need a utility called Pacifist to do so. With Pacifist, you can extract just the System Preferences application for the disc and drop it into your Applications folder. That should do the trick.

I will do just that. Thank you very much! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.