HELP...decisions, decisions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4GHz // iBook G4 12" - 1.33GHz // iPhone 3GS - 16GB
Okay, I have been debating this in my head for months now, but it's time for some outside opinions!

I am a current owner of an iBook G4 and it is still in great shape after almost 3 years. However, as more Intel specific stuff comes out, more memory is required to run stuff, and more storage is needed for my files, I have come to an breaking point (almost).

Options:
a) Buy a new Macbook in black. Throw in the free iPod touch too as I am a student.

or

b) Wait it out until the next refresh of Macbooks. I know it may not be for awhile and it is tough to predict but it will involve the new Intel chips and probably/hopefully a design refresh. I'm sure my current iBook will hold out until then. Downside: NO FREE IPOD TOUCH (not that I absolutely need it anyways).

or

c) Take it in a different direction. A nice new iMac with a nice big screen would look nice in my new apartment. Keep the old iBook around for times when portability is a must. Throw in the free iPod touch!

Advice/input? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" 1 ghz G4 768mb RAM
Okay, I have been debating this in my head for months now, but it's time for some outside opinions!

I am a current owner of an iBook G4 and it is still in great shape after almost 3 years. However, as more Intel specific stuff comes out, more memory is required to run stuff, and more storage is needed for my files, I have come to an breaking point (almost).

Options:
a) Buy a new Macbook in black. Throw in the free iPod touch too as I am a student.

or

b) Wait it out until the next refresh of Macbooks. I know it may not be for awhile and it is tough to predict but it will involve the new Intel chips and probably/hopefully a design refresh. I'm sure my current iBook will hold out until then. Downside: NO FREE IPOD TOUCH (not that I absolutely need it anyways).

or

c) Take it in a different direction. A nice new iMac with a nice big screen would look nice in my new apartment. Keep the old iBook around for times when portability is a must. Throw in the free iPod touch!

Advice/input? Thanks!

I'm in almost the exact same situation (4-5 year old iBook time to upgrade) and I'm going to go with option C on August 1st. It took a lot of mental debate, but with the iMacs being just refreshed, me needing to get a computer before I go back to college, and my 4th gen iPod dying - 300 dollars off of the ipod touch I'd have to buy anyway sealed the deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
if your stuff is working for you now .. you might as well wait it out.. if you need it (notice i say "need" not want) they get the current gen.. that suits your needs.. if it suits your needs now it will later.. new stuff will always come out... i have a dell now and it works just ok for the moment.. and i could get the current gen.. but i dont need it so i plan on waiting it out to see what apple comes up with

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
I like your iMac idea. Give yourself the power (and screen size!) you need at home yet retain the portability of the ibook.

Reaction score
I'd say if you don't have an iPod, then go with option A. The macbook should perform better and you'll also get the MP3 player. If you already have an iPod, go for option B.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Option C.
You'd have a powerful desktop, still have the iBook and the Touch, which could double as a portable in Wi-Fi areas. Why have 2 Notebooks?

T

todd51

I voted also for option C. Just go ahead and get a new computer, might as well take advantage of the free iPod. New technology is always coming out right around the corner. It's not like your new computer is going to slow down immediately as a newer model comes out.

I plan on getting a new iMac when I graduate college and keep my MBP for portability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
Choice A!

I'm getting the white MacBook with the free iPod too (mom works as a substitute at a school).

OP
cabra
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4GHz // iBook G4 12" - 1.33GHz // iPhone 3GS - 16GB
Haha these results are still split...oh well...

and for future reference, I already have an iPod (30 gb video) which suits me fine but with all the new apps coming out for touch/iphone i might really be tempted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.