RAM Question

Reaction score
Hey, I just purchased a Mac Pro with 2gb of RAM and was wondering two main things:
Where should I purchase from for best price as well as quality.
And how can I get help on how to install it and is it easy enough to do personally or do I need to get a genius to do it.
Thanks
Looking to upgrade to 6gb

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey, I just purchased a Mac Pro with 2gb of RAM and was wondering two main things:
Where should I purchase from for best price as well as quality.
And how can I get help on how to install it and is it easy enough to do personally or do I need to get a genius to do it.
Thanks
Looking to upgrade to 6gb

I'd recommend Crucial.com - it's top quality memory, has a lifetime warranty and is guaranteed compatible if you use their 'memory chooser' application.

As far as difficulty of installation goes, if you never opened a computer in your life, it might be a challenge (although the tech support at Crucial should be able to walk you through it). But for the most part, the modules just clip right in. If you're even remotely handy, it shouldn't be an issue.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, I also noticed that with it I got two 1GB sticks. Do I still need to keep with that or am i able to go to 2GB sticks.
And also how do I know if it is an 8core 5400 series?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Go to the Apple logo in the top menu bar and go to About This Mac. Does it say you have 667MHz RAM or 800MHz RAM.
I recommend OWC. They are cheaper than most of the competitors with the same lifetime warranty. http://www.macsales.com

If you buy 2GB modules, install those where the 1GB modules are and move the 1GB modules to the second position on each board. The links already provided should say this. I was looking over the manual a few days ago that came with the Mac Pro and it explains everything quite clearly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.