My iMac isn't reading any CD's

Reaction score
I'm a brand new iMac user and seem to be coming up with obstacle after obstacle in making my switch.

For the last month I've had no problems with using my CDrom.

A couple of days ago, I tried to run boot camp to install Windows. Yes, I do have XP Service Pack 2 Retail Version. During the boot camp installation, I inserted the Windows CD when prompted, just to have the Mac spit out the CD and say the installer disk could not be found. After multiple attempts of this I figured I would go to Disk Utility to see if I could see any files that were being read. Disk Utility was empty and no CD was on my desktop.

After that I put in several CD's and movies that I know worked prior and the iMac would try to read them, but then just eject them after about 30 seconds.

I called Apple Care and they told me to take it to a repair shop. I took the iMac in and they called me back to say they had no problem reading any CD's.

After I brought my computer home, the CD rom still didn't work. I rebooted and this time it did. I could see the contents of my Windows XP CD. So, I tried to run bootcamp again. Same problem, it says the installer disk could not be found. Now, not a single CD works. I've tried rebooting, and that doesn't help.

I'm frustrated that the Apple Store couldn't find anything wrong with my computer, yet I can't get it to read CD's. It seems that BootCamp has done something with my CD drive and made it so I can't read CD's. Either that, or Apple makes installing Windows so painful that I just give up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A couple of days ago, I tried to run boot camp to install Windows ... During the boot camp installation, I inserted the Windows CD when prompted, just to have the Mac spit out the CD and say the installer disk could not be found ... Disk Utility was empty and no CD was on my desktop ... I took the iMac in and they called me back to say they had no problem reading any CD's.

Did you take the problematic CDs into the repair shop along with your iMac? If they're able to replicate the problem you're having with those particular CDs, then maybe they can find a cause and remedy.

Don't give up yet, there will be a solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.