Burning audio file question

Reaction score
I have an audio file that is ~90 minutes long which was recorded using my ipod and a mic. I want to create a CD of that file for a friend. Unfortunately, it's too large for a single CD. I decided to record it to two CDs. First CD went fine and was prompted to insert a second CD. Error said there was a problem with the laser on the media (or something like that). I tried several of my unused CDs and no change.
Now I have burned ~80 minutes on one CD and need to burn the final ~10 minutes. I messed a little with Garage Band but the tempo is way too fast (like chipmunks) even when I mess with the settings.
Questions:
1. Is there a way to compress the file so it can fit one CD, without purchasing a separate program?
2. How can I burn just a small section of a file using itunes or Garage Band?
3. If it has to be done in Garage Band, what am I doing wrong that makes the tempo so fast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Answering by way of questions ...

I have an audio file that is ~90 minutes long ... I want to create a CD of that file for a friend.

1. In what format is that 90 minute audio file?
2. Is the CD intended for playing on a standard audio unit, ie. CD player?

Unfortunately, it's too large for a single CD. I decided to record it to two CDs. First CD went fine and was prompted to insert a second CD. Error said there was a problem with the laser on the media (or something like that). I tried several of my unused CDs and no change.

Which suggests that something went wrong after the first CD recording. Dust or other material on the lens?
3. Have you cleaned the lens, either with iso alcohol on a cotton bud or a proprietary lens cleaning disk?

Questions:
1. Is there a way to compress the file so it can fit one CD, without purchasing a separate program?

Yes, but not for playback on a standard audio unit. For use on a computer, .mp3 will work, and is a very compressed audio file format. iTunes will do that if you import the audio into iTunes.

2. How can I burn just a small section of a file using itunes or Garage Band?

With an audio editing program like Amadeus or Audacity, even Quicktime.

A further suggestion: get SoundConverter. It'll convert various audio file formats, use it for free for files under 500 Kb.

Sorry, I don't know why Garage Band played the audio so quickly.

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry, the file is .mp3 which is in itunes already and intended just to be transported directly to another persons computer to be used for a podcast.
I have not cleaned the lens, nor needed to in the past. So since it's already in .mp3 format, it probably can not be compressed anymore? Using SoundConverter (free), I should be able to split that voice recording into two different sections (not effecting the original file?) and burn the desired section?
Thank you for your reply-b.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.