Too Many Folders and Files

Reaction score
I have a mini mac and tried upgrading to the latest Leopard and it now says I do not have enough space on my HD. When I checked under more info, the HD it says I have 226,223 Folders and over !,000,000 files.
That sounds crazy. Does anyone have an idea on what's going on , after trying
to upgrade initally it said a reboot was nec. but it would never reboot , just froze up, I had to go back and install the first version of leopard just to get my computer back up and running. It wouldn't even safe boot. Maybe somehow I've gotten duplicate or even triple files but just can't see them.

Thanks, Randy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Before you say that the file/folder count is crazy, what do you use your machine for? Is this number perhaps reasonable? Do you work with a large number of small files?

If not, there are two excellent apps for showing where all of your hard disk space has gone, Disk Inventory X and WhatSize. Get them at:

Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com

WhatSize: http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

You may be able to use one of these two to show you where all of these files are. If anything doesn't "look right", that is a good place to start.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If that count is under your user account then, yea, that sounds high.

How much drive space do you have left? That is listed at the bottom of the Finder window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.