Best program for logo design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all, I am wanting to design a logo and perhaps some other small graphics, what would be the program of choice for a beginner? I have heard some about illustrator and have looked at some books on it and it appears to do what i need, but didn't know if there was a better option out there. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I personally use a combination of Illustrator and Photoshop CS2. Mostly Illustrator though.

You'd probably want Photoshop unless you plan on doing a lot of cartoonish stuff, then I'd use Illustrator.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well i'm thinking about getting the cs3 web design premium package since i get a student deal which comes with both. So i would most likely use photoshop for everything that i would need? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
i use photoshop cs3 and a little bit of illustrator for design.
if you do decide to get it, most definitely try getting a student discount.
it's costly. haha.

OP
M
Reaction score
I think i'm going to get it, it's definitely a good deal with the student discount. The only downside is you can't upgrade but oh well. So in other words i will mainly use photoshop but i mihgt use illustrator as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
If you have windoze installed on your mac, you could probably experiment with Corel Draw for far less of an investment, and conceptually... both are vector programs. But if you can swing the bucks and have the time to learn AI... that's the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
Adobe Illustrator, hands down. Vector art is where its at. You can do some nice things in photoshop, but the file will always be rasterized. If that logo is needed for a sign, or something larger than typical print pieces down the line, you will be out of luck if its not a vector logo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
The best program for logo design is your hand with the help of a pencil and paper, then once you get the logo use Illustrator to make it on the computer. Do not use photoshop for logos if you can help it, like DarkKnight said, vector art is where its at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Illustrator. Obviously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
old Dual 2.0 G5, new(er) ibook, old ibook, Mac Plus
I second or third Illustrator. Stay away from photoshop for logos. Logos need to be neat, clean, sharp, and scalable. Photoshop is none of that.

Just my .02

Matt

Reaction score
it's a landslide. illustrator!!!! hard to learn by the book though. get your hands dirty !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I suggest by hand, then by illustrator than my either photoshop or quark.

Reaction score
honey,
this is not a question of what programm but what technique:
illustrator lets you create vector data: that means that is it printable in any resolution and you can scale that data to any dimension, from the wing of a bug to the side of a skyscraper.
photoshop gives you pixel data, that means that, depending on the size and resolution you choose when making a new file, that file can not be scaled up afterwards. if you are designing icons for a website, or a logo for online use ONLY, then it would be ok to do it in psd. otherwise, professionally, you do a logo in vector.

if you are not quite sure what the difference vector/pixel data means drop me a line if you want a longer explanation.

But: the professional designer does a handscetch first (or several :), and then reworks his idea in illustrator.

if you want some inspirations, here is a great link:
Top 5 Logo Showcases for Logo Design Inspiration | Antilogic – Design, SEO, Advertising, Technology
or: The Design Inspiration - Daily Logo Designs, Illustration Art, Website Showcase, Photos and Patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.