Forgotten Name

Reaction score
I currently have a macbook, and am trying to adjust the time before my screen goes dark (energy saver preference), as it goes blank in about a minute and really makes me mad. It is asking me for my name and password, and I have not used these in the 6 months I have owned it and didnt write them down when I first got it :Oops: . Anyone have any ideas to retrieve this or how to change it?......Also, how do I know if I need some of the updates I have been reading about, and where do I go to do them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you're not referring to a log on name and password. If you are, use this method:

Boot the machine with your install DVD. When the machine boots and starts going through the install process you should come to where you enter a user name and password. Enter a new name and password (write them down) and then exit the install. Reboot.

For just the screensaver\power saver, see this thread:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070525090946356

As for updates, just click on the Apple menu and activate software update. It will scan your system and let you know what updates are available.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, I tried this last night. It went to the screen for english, this asked what applications I wanted to install. Do I click continue here to bring up the admin name and password? I dont need to install any programs. This is starting to trouble me because I just cant remember my admin name or password. I thought about calling Apple customer support, but my 90 days is up and didnt buy the extended coverage. Does anyone know how strict they are about that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, press continue until you come to where you should enter a username and password. Also, be sure you're using Disk One and not the second disk which contains applications.

As far as the Apple free phone support is concerned, yes, once the 90 days are up you no longer are eligible for free phone support unless you purchase Apple Care.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
When I insert the disk and it asks what I want to install, I choose the top option. It then brings up another box to click restart. When I click this it asks for the admin name and password, which I am trying to change.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.