How much RAM can I put in my (older) MacBook?

Reaction score
Hi,

I know that this has been discussed a few times here and elsewhere, but I still can't figure out how much RAM my MB is capable of taking.

I have a 2.1, Intel Core Duo, 1.83ghz, purchased in Dec 2007. It currently has a memory of 512MB, which is getting really slow with applications such as iPhoto.

I’m looking to install Leopard on it, and have been told a 2gb upgrade would suffice. However, if I can put 4gb in it, then I'd like to so that it's extra speedy and I have the chips for any future upgrading.

From what I've read on the forums, I can put in 4gb (but it will only 'see' 3.3mb), but when I asked my local Apple supplier they swore that it's only capable of handling 1gb chips (so 2gb total...). I gave them my serial number as well as all the info above.

Please help - I'm so confused!! Just want to get the most of of my MB!

Thank you!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your MacBook is capable of being upgraded to 2GB, max. The newer Core 2 Duo machines can have up to 4GB, but yours has the older Core Duo chip.

Check out crucial.com and use their memory selector, it will tell you all of the specifics.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorted! Thanks very much for your help - much cheaper from that site too :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.