Best way to play games?

Reaction score
What is the best way to play games on a mac?

I have seen loads of things people do...

Bootcamp problem i have with that is risk of viruses so i would only use it for games and then i would have to buy a version of windows...

Buy Mac games...

Or programs i have read about like cider?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What is the best way to play games on a mac?

I have seen loads of things people do...

Bootcamp problem i have with that is risk of viruses so i would only use it for games and then i would have to buy a version of windows...

Buy Mac games...

Or programs i have read about like cider?

There are many Mac-native games, but not nearly to the extent that there are Windows games. So, if you want to play Windows games, you'll need to bite the bullet and buy a copy of Windows to install via Boot Camp.

Cider is a technology for porting games to Mac, and it is something that is transparent to users, it's more for developers.

Another option might be to try Crossover for Mac, or DarWINE, both of which have some limited support for games (but it's hit or miss).

OP
H
Reaction score
ok thanks what version of windows would you suggest? xp? or vista?

how does it work with bootcamp aswell? do i need the windows installation disks and then load up bootcamp and it asks to install windows? or would i be able to download windows and do it that way?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd suggest XP. You can read all about how Boot Camp works here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.