Internet connection problems

cor

Reaction score
Hey am a recent convert to mac and well happy with my decision until lately. When i first got my macbook all was working perfect but after a software update my internet connection keeps dropping every few minutes i.e. it attempts to open up the page (Airport goes from being on to scanning) & either takes about 60 seconds or just doesnt load and gives a not connected to the internet error. It then reconnects after about 30 seconds when I keep refreshing. I am currently updated to version 10.5.4 but this problem first appeared after an earlier update(cant actually remember which one). It has been totally pissing me off now for about 2 or 3 months. After a recent google search I found out that loads of other macs are suffering the same problems after software updates. Does anyone know anything I can do to fix this problem as my other windows laptops have no problems connecting to the internet. This problem seems to be fairly widespread so why haven't apple done something to fix this problem or even acknowledged it (unless they have & i totally missed it). Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am getting fairly sick of my nice macbook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Are you having the same difficulty when connected by ethernet cable as with wireless? Wireless connection problems can be due to interference from cordless phones close by, or a neighbor who is using wireless on the same channel as you. Your MacBook may be more prone to dropouts because of that whereas the PCs may not be.

I have a Toshiba PC notebook and a MacBook side by side on the same wireless ISP circuit. The Toshiba has no problem with the DNS settings provided by my ISP but my MacBook does and slows down. I had to plug in my own DNS settings in the router to cure the slow downs.

Try another wireless connection (A friend, school, Starbucks, etc.) to see if the same thing is happening. Test with an ethernet cable plugged in. In other words, try to localize the problem to the machine or the connection.

Regards.

OP
C

cor

Reaction score
really weird. iv been trying everything to localise the problem as suggested and have had no luck until just now. i logged into my girlfriends account on the same macbook and the internet appears to be perfect. way faster and doesn't seem to be dropping???????? wonder if i should delete my old account and set up a new one? what about all my personal stuff, could i save it all to the shared folder so i wouldn't loose it or what would be the best way of going about this? i dont have an external drive to back up everything

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.