Questions about buying the iPhone 3g

Reaction score
I looked everywhere for answers for this and couldn't find them, so here i am.

Here's my dilemma, I have $300 cash and i want to buy a 16gb iPhone but i herd that you can't buy it with cash, so i thought i could just buy an apple gift card when im there and use that, but can i do that? will they send me to the back of the line? and is there a fee?

Also, I'm on my step dad's plan (family plan) will he have to be there because you have to activate it there or can i just do it?

One more thing...
The apple store where i'm going is in a mall (salem NH) and how would i go about camping out for it? are there going to be people camping out in front of the mall and then people running in like a pack of bulls to get to the apple store?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't know if the issue about using credit cards only will still be in effect since you have to activate it on site, but at the least you'll probably need a CC for service anyway. So I don't think cash will do it.

Unless your family plan is eligible for an upgrade, you won't be able to get the iPhone for $300. Maybe if you're adding a line, but you'll just have to call AT&T directly to find out.

As far as camping, that's anyone's guess. They might have security doing something, but that's up to the mall itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Seriously, who would camp for a toy phone hahah, I would just wait a day and get it then if you have to wait more than an hour. Luckily we have an at&t right in our town and it shouldn't be to crowded at all, we don't even get 3G in our state until november (Maine). I can't wait!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I had a similar question and spent numerous hours talking to Apple and AT&T. Long story short, my account isn't up for an upgrade until next week, July 15th. AT&T said since I'm w/in a 7-day window they will honor an early upgrade. Apple store guy seemed to agree. Hopefully this works out so I don't get screwed out of $100 off the iPhone 3G. So, we'll see what happens tomorrow morning!

Reaction score
I had a similar question and spent numerous hours talking to Apple and AT&T. Long story short, my account isn't up for an upgrade until next week, July 15th. AT&T said since I'm w/in a 7-day window they will honor an early upgrade. Apple store guy seemed to agree. Hopefully this works out so I don't get screwed out of $100 off the iPhone 3G. So, we'll see what happens tomorrow morning!

OK here is the rundown. (I work at an Apple store) You will not be able to use cash to buy the phone, however Yes you can buy a gift card with the cash and use that to buy the phone. There is no fee. However, if you are starting new service and your credit check requires a deposit Credit card is the only option for paying that at an Apple store. Any other methods must go through ATT and the phone must be purchased through them.

If ATT offered you the 7 day window, then go to an ATT store to get the phone, not an Apple store. The system we are using will verify eligibility by what is in the ATT system not for any exceptions ATT makes.

If you are on your step dads account, make sure he puts you as a full authorized user and that you can verify either the password or the last four of his SSN

As far as eligibility for upgrade at the subsidized price ($199 or $299), you have to call ATT to find out. If you contract originally started with the purchase of your current iPhone (new service) you are eligible. If you bought your current iPhone in the middle of a previous contract you may not be eligible. If your current phone with ATT is not an iPhone you must fall under ATT's standard policy for upgrade eligibility.

Hope that helps, good luck all!

Oh and as far as the Apple store being in the mall and camping out, contact your local mall as mall management may be different at every mall.

One last thing, it is not like last time at the Apple store when you just got the box and left to activate it at home. The iPhone 3G MUST be activated in store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
If ATT offered you the 7 day window, then go to an ATT store to get the phone, not an Apple store. The system we are using will verify eligibility by what is in the ATT system not for any exceptions ATT makes.

Hmm, well that could either work for me or against me. The AT&T store is about half the distance for me than the Apple store. But... the guy I talked to at the AT&T store said he wasn't sure if they were going to have them on sale immediately at 0800, but rather that's when they would open and would be starting a wait on the iPhone shipments. Personally, I don't think they would be stupid enough to delay people like that by NOT having them immediately available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I called AT&T today, and they said if you're joining onto a family plan, the credit check doesn't happen for you, so paying credit is not necessary. And if you're just a few days shy and need to make an exception, go to an AT&T store, not an Apple store. Plus, if the AT&T store isn't in the mall, camping out will be much easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Just got back from AT&T w/ my new, 16G, black iPhone 3G!!! Let the fun begin...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.