MacBook is getting 65 Degrees Celsius

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
My macbook is getting 65 Degrees Celsius(CPU A) is this still normal?
I find it very hot, or is this normal
This was when watching a HD movie
Now it is 49 Degrees Celsius

Btw. I used iStat Pro Widget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Mine's always pretty hot TBH. It freaked me out a bit at first, I even took it to the Apple store but I've never had a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5
65 degrees?!

WOW. Is this normal....

I can still put it on my lap... right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
when im running adobe photoshop & dreamweaver, itunes, safari, ical, adium etc on my 2ghz 1gig macbook its reached 90+ degrees C. the backs gets so hot i cant hold my hand there for more then a second.. I think its because my rams so low and its basically running off my disk..

65 although really warm, isn't anything to worry about

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You're fine as long as you don't combine heavy CPU usage and nudity... lol.

I'm at 62 right now just on FireFox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
would 4 GB of ram cool it down???

Telters

OP
H

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
What a relieve I thought maybe the fan was broken, because compared to a windows notebook the macbook is really silent
Oh and it is not to hot on my lap, just warm which is not bad at some cold times :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... I was worried there.

I am just getting a new MacBook 2GB RAM (in transit from Shanghai right now) and was worried it was going to burn through my pants (not really).

Telters

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
90 + degrees

when im running adobe photoshop & dreamweaver, itunes, safari, ical, adium etc on my 2ghz 1gig macbook its reached 90+ degrees C. the backs gets so hot i cant hold my hand there for more then a second.. I think its because my rams so low and its basically running off my disk..

65 although really warm, isn't anything to worry about

WOW!!!

Reaction score
A few hours ago, I ripped a DVD and my CPU A reached 68 degrees in an air conditioned room and I'm using one of those stands that elevates the back of my Macbook. I felt the back and it was just warm but not uncomfortably hot. Maybe this temp (65-70 degrees C) is nothing to worry about?

would 4 GB of ram cool it down???

Telters

I'm also curious bout this question too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz MBP (17" HR glossy display) with 4GB of RAM and a 200GB, 7200RPM HD
Anything within the range of 65-80 degrees celcius is within acceptable levels if you're under a full load. Obviously, room/ambient temperature is going to weigh in quite heavily on that estimate. Just look for performance anomalies -- if your display starts producing artifacts or your system is starting to exhibit unusual behavior, then I'd be a bit concerned; if not, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
The following is taken from Intel's thermal and mechanical design guidelines and support manual. The numbers are Intel's recommended maximums. Don't worry too much about it, just get Apple Care and you are covered for 3 years if the proc fails.

Edit: Sorry the previous table was for desktop procs, I didn't pay attention to which doc I was opening and I didn't proof read before posting. The following is from Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor for Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology Based on Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family Datasheet. Section 5.1
normal operating temperature range of 50-100 °C

It goes on to say this.
The processor supports the THERMTRIP# signal for catastrophic thermal protection. An
external thermal sensor should also be used to protect the processor and the system
against excessive temperatures. Even with the activation of THERMTRIP#, which halts
all processor internal clocks and activity, leakage current can be high enough such that
the processor cannot be protected in all conditions without the removal of power to the
processor. If the external thermal sensor detects a catastrophic processor temperature
of 125°C (maximum), or if the THERMTRIP# signal is asserted, the VCC supply to the
processor must be turned off within 500 ms to prevent permanent silicon damage due
to thermal runaway of the processor. THERMTRIP# functionality is not guaranteed if the
PWRGOOD signal is not asserted

Hope this helps to clear up any confusion!

OP
H

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
Which processor does the new 2.4 White macbook use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
See edit to previous post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
just get smc fan control, i raised the minimum fan speed of 1800 to 2400 (it makes no more noise) with this my cpu is hovering around 45 degrees Celsius when just browsing. might shorten the life of the fan slightly but lets face it a $5 fan is a lot cheaper than a cpu hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think he really needs SMC fan control the temps are not getting that high for a laptop. I tried SMC before and didn't really like it on my Mac Pro. It might work better on a laptop but I don't think it is necessary in this case. And if the fan does go out after the warranty is up he still has to apple labor rate to get it replaced. Like I said I would just get Apple care and not worry about it for 3 years. Then after 3 years sell it on ebay and buy a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do you change the fan control???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.