FYI: Unable to access CD-Rom, here's the fix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Today my kids complained "the computer's broken" which is a common occurance when they screw it up, but today was different. No matter what, I couldn't open a CD, I put one in and it didn't even show up on the desktop. I tried booting from the OS 9.1 CD-ROM, wouldn't boot. Though I could hear it spin up when I put one in the drive.

Reset the CUDA. Took is apart, I took the CD-Drive in my hands for inspection, no loose cables. Just pressed the CUDA button for 15 seconds, but it together and up she came.

Some people probably already knew this, but after 30 minutes of troubleshooting I'm glad I didn't have to get another drive off eBay or something.

I've reset the CUDA before for other things, but never because it couldn't access the CD-Rom.

System Profiler didn't even see it on the ATA cable. Opening Apple CD Player says the Extension for CD/DVD wasn't loaded, although it was checked in Ext. Manager.

Just thought I'd share.

This is an iMac Rev A G3 233 MHz

B

Badger

Thanks for the tip. The CUDA (aka PMU) forces the computer to rebuild the PRAM and hardware configuration. Probably the file was corrupted and needed to be replaced.

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Badger said:
Thanks for the tip. The CUDA (aka PMU) forces the computer to rebuild the PRAM and hardware configuration. Probably the file was corrupted and needed to be replaced.

Yup, tried zapping the PRAM by keyboard combo but had to do it the harder way. :)

B

b.s.meinert

I want to reset my PMU to fix my slot drive problem. But I'm worried about the warning that if you have a RAM disk that anything on that will get errased.

Does this mean than anything will be erased off my computer? Do I need to reload my programs after this? What happens after you reset your PMU?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what os are you running? nothing should be erased off your computer, and if you are sing a ram disk or virtual memory, it doesnt matter if it gets erased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I don't believe that he's running OS X...because I had no idea what he was talking about ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.