Diablo II Problems

Reaction score
I recently installed Diablo II again like many others I'm sure who have recently heard about the release of Diablo III. Anyway, it won't even play on my Macbook and I'm getting pretty frustrated with this.

The same thing happened a while back when I installed strarcraft using the (carbon) installer provided by Blizzard. Starcraft actually started though although there were quite a few visual errors on the screen. Diablo II won't even start up for me though, as soon as I click the icon it bounces in the dock a couple times then disappears. No error pops up or anything which pretty much gives me nothing to work with.

I tried re-installing (using the OS X installer and latest patch) with no luck and did some research to find out that it was because apple removed 256 color support in the last OS X patch but that all you had to do was hold down the option key on start-up in order to change the video setting to Open GL. The problem is I can't even get that far...

Anyone else having similiar problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They are old OS9 cames right

You have an intel mac, but what you really need is too start them up in classic OS9. Classic is no longer supported on Intel macs

For that you will need a copy od OS 9.2, and a copy of SheepShaver (free) that will allow you to run classic apps on an Intel Mac

There is an open source OS9 emulator, but I have not used it

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=51548

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
If you're using a Mac with an NVIDIA card, the problem is the drivers Apple broke in 10.5.3. I posted a guide for restoring the old ones and thus regaining 256-colour support here. The MacBook shouldn't have the same problems in theory... but you should be able to use a similar method as the one described in the thread to get the MacBook's video drivers from a pre-10.5.3 time. Then again, I'm told the X3100s had major issues back then, so you may just be in a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" situation. Make sure you use the OS X Native installers for Diablo II and Starcraft from Blizzard's site, though. I wouldn't bother with the OS9 emulator since these installers exist.

Reaction score
I just tried to install a 256 color patch for my macbook. i bought said macbook in feb'08. now it is stuck in load mode i did the fsck-fy in single user mode and it says that everything is ok. any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram GMA X3100
If you have windows xp working through boot camp on your macbook then you can play it. You do need to download the patch from blizzard though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum Duo Core 20" iMac|
my battlenet just won't work, o well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.