insert key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
insert key? can you be more specific? what key, like a serial number, etc?

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. By Insert key he means the key label "Insert" on all PC keyboard, usually located somewhere around the Home and End keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I thin it was where help is on the apple keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Having never had a use for this key, even on the rare occasion I use a PC...what on earth does it do, and why do you need it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
On a PC you can use the insert key (along with shift) to paste items. With a mac it's command+v in case that's why you want to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
edgefusion said:
On a PC you can use the insert key (along with shift) to paste items. With a mac it's command+v in case that's why you want to know.
I'm not sure that's what he's looking for.

command+x command+c and comman+v are equivalent to
control+x control+c and control+v which is nothing else than
Cut Copy and Paste
control=ctrl (or strg on a German keyboard) for those who don't know :cool:

The Insert key on the PC lets you switch between "insert" and "overwrite" when typing a text. "Insert"-mode means: you put your cursor somewhere in a word or sentence, and everything you type will be inserted, shifting the existing text to the right. "Overwrite"-mode means: you do the same as mentionned above, but instead of your newly typed text getting inserted, it overwrites the existing text.

And as we're at it: what's the help key on the Mac's keyboard good for?!? I mean, all that happens is that the mouse cursor changes to a question mark, but that's it. When I click on anything, nothing happens. At least not in Panther...

OP
L

likewings

Sorry I wasn't very specific earlier. I recieved a distressed call off my girlfriend who was writing an essay on her ibook and it came on, she didn't have a clue how to turn it off. Any more ideas?

OP
I

iSheep

likewings said:
Sorry I wasn't very specific earlier. I recieved a distressed call off my girlfriend who was writing an essay on her ibook and it came on, she didn't have a clue how to turn it off. Any more ideas?
If she's using MS Word, then she has to double-click on the word OVR (or OVT) in the status bar. That will turn it off. Most Mac programs don't support overtype however, so this is an exception.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Speaking of odd keys, what exactly is the key on the iBook /powerbook keyboard right next to the right apple key. (Left of the <- arrow key)

????

OP
I

iSheep

It's an Enter key. Just like the one on the far right of a full-sized keyboard with the num-pad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
iSheep said:
It's an Enter key. Just like the one on the far right of a full-sized keyboard with the num-pad.

Yep, I just discovered this yesterday. Also on a PowerBook, you only have the backspace key (delete next character to the left), however, if you hit the Fn key (lower bottom right) and backspace it will act as a delete key (delete next character to the right).

Just sharing. :yinyang:

OP
D

Desolate One

rberry88 said:
Yep, I just discovered this yesterday. Also on a PowerBook, you only have the backspace key (delete next character to the left), however, if you hit the Fn key (lower bottom right) and backspace it will act as a delete key (delete next character to the right).

Just sharing. :yinyang:

SWEET! I was wondering about that ever since I started using my iBook! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
And what's the "help"-key for?!? Don't know if it's on the PowerBook/iBook keyboard, but it is on the Apple Pro keyboard...

Any clues??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
try pressing 'help' and move your mouse to something and click.
actually more useful than insert :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe
what is YOUR browser of choice?

Hi again,
When I was in the WINTEL camp, I thiught IE was tops untill I met Firefox, then I thought I was the cat's nutz!! Now, having made the transition to MACs, I encounter Safari. I was wondering what others are into? :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
On my iMac keyboard (Apple Pro), the 'Help' key opens up the Help mini-window in some apps, otherwise it just turns into a ? then beeps if I click on anything.

Maybe it just depends on if the program/application supports it?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
For example...

attachment.php

Apple

attachment.php

P.C.

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01285.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.