Is there any way to use javascript to disable the File toolbar for Apple Macs?

Reaction score
I am using javascript to open a new window with no menus when a user clicks a button. For IE and Firefox on Windows, it works just fine - the problem is that for a Mac, I still get the toolbar / menubar which says File, Edit, View, History, etc...

Is there a way to get rid of this Menubar / Toolbar?

Thanks in advance!

BTW - I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of responses from people who think this is bad programming practice and why one should not do this. Please save your time and mine and skip it. I work for a non-profit with a boss who insists I need to do this (or get fired), so...any help?

xoxoxo
Thanks!!!!!!!;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Doubt it. You are talking about removing the menu bar. It is not part of the window which is likely as far as Javascript (or Java) within a browser can affect.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The menu bar, being outside of the scope of the browser window, is beyond the jurisdiction of Javascript, period.

OP
S
Reaction score
Gotcha. Is there another way to do what I want (or basically since I am creating a web page, there is no way to affect the menu bar)? Even if it's not javascript, is there something else that can be used? I want to prevent someone from saving the web page I'm making.

xoxo
Thanks!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I want to prevent someone from saving the web page I'm making.
LOL! Oh, sorry, your serious. ;)

There are ways to use Javascript to not let people cut from your page. I'm not sure about stopping people from using the save, show source, and print commands though, but that is some of what you would need to cover.

Perhaps using Flash would allow you to do that, to a point. If your trying to protect the source, there are tools to 'encrypt' it. So they claim. Of course the search engines would likely not index the page, if that is important to you.

In the end I think the best you can do is put blocks in place against the average person. An advanced user will find ways around those blocks. Here are two interesting links 3 years apart that say 'NO'. Link 1, Link 2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.