Installing OS 9 alongside OSX??

C

Chee Z

I need to install OS 9 to run a few Classic Apps. When I asked our local tech store, they told me to run a clean install with OS 9 install disc and that it doesn't actually erase anything, but places OS 9 alongside OS X and that all my data will be there when I restart.

Every search on this site says clean install OS 9 then reinstall OSX meaning reinstalling all my data and apps. Is there any truth to what the tech guy said??

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
In OS 9, a clean install is not wiping all of your data, but just simply installing a new System Folder. But in OS X, a clean install is wiping out your data and reinstalling the OS.

However, if you did not install OS 9 drivers, you are screwed, as you will not be able to boot into OS 9... you can run it in classic, though. What kind of Mac do you have?

I would recommend using iPartition to partiton your drives and place OS 9 on a different partition if you will be booting into it, that is, if you have OS 9 drivers installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
a partitition isnt necessary, that would require erasing the mac, if you have the panther install discs, on disc 1, there should be an installer called install classic support or something like that, itll install just classic, you could also use the software restore disc if it has the osx version you are running now on it.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I said to use iPartition to partition the drive...

OP
C

Chee Z

There are folders on the HD that have '(OS 9)' behind them. Does that mean I have OS 9 drivers?

I'm running Panther. One disc 1 there is a folder called optional installs. The only thing in it is a BSD Subsystem.pkg. I'm guessing this is not what I need.

I have the original OS 9 install from the 10.1 I received with my Mac. Now I have a Dual 1Gg Quicksilver.

All your help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you have inside the mac hd a folder called "System Folder", not system, system folder, and another folder called Applications(os 9) or something, then yes, classic is already installed.

OP
C

Chee Z

I understand what the Classic folders look like which I don't have. I do have a few folders that say something like 'dev(OS 9)'. I know I don't have Classic at this point.

So I'm gathering that I can take my OS 9.2.2 install disc, perform a CLEAN INSTALL, and all my data will be there as well as OX 10.3.5 when I restart?

I need a little confirmation before I attempt. I'm a little gun shy since my Mac burnt up last week and had to get a "new" used one. Went from a G4 933 to a Dual 1Gb fully stocked G4. Everything is going good so far and now I'm realizing that the Classic install is last on my list and I'm hoping I don't have to start over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The easiest way to tell if you have Classic installed is to run an OS 9 application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
From Apple Help:

About using Mac OS 9 applications in Mac OS X

If you need to use Mac OS 9 applications, you can do so in the Classic environment in Mac OS X. To use the Classic environment, you must have a Mac OS 9 System Folder installed on your computer, either on the same hard disk as Mac OS X, or on another disk or disk partition.

The Classic environment requires Mac OS 9.1 or later. If you are using an earlier version, you need to upgrade your Mac OS 9 software to use the Classic environment. It's a good idea to use Mac OS 9.2 or later.

For best results using Mac OS X, upgrade your Mac OS 9 applications to the Mac OS X version. Check with the manufacturers for more information. You can also check the Mac OS X website for information about the latest applications for Mac OS X.

If your computer didn't come with Mac OS 9 installed, use the discs that came with your computer to install Mac OS 9.

To intall Mac OS 9:

Back up your essential files, if possible.
Insert the "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" disc.
Double-click "Install Extra Software."
Follow the onscreen instructions to install Mac OS 9.

Your computer may have come with multiple CDs, or discs with different titles. See the documentation that came with your computer to determine which discs to use.

The Classic environment requires at least Mac OS 9.1, but it's a good idea to use Mac OS 9.2 or later. You can download a software update from the Apple support website.

To learn more about using Mac OS 9 applications in Mac OS X, click "Tell me more."

OP
C

Chee Z

Thanks for the info immdb. I checked the discs that came with my computer from 3 years ago. All discs are gray colored. I have an OSX install disc, OS9 install disc, an Apple Hardware Test disc, and 5 Software Restore discs. Nothing that exactly matches from your info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.