DVD on a mac (Ripping/Viewing/iPod Converting)

Reaction score
Hello,

My mac isn't too far away now (couple more days before delivery!:D ). FOr years now my windows has been a total disaster when it comes to video. Most of the time i just haven't bothered because of poor software, errors, bugs, or the videos quality is just poor. I would like to do the following on my mac:

1. Rip some of my dvd's to my hard disk.

2. watch them on front row (i think thats what its called)

3. Possibly put them on my ipod ( i rarely do this)

The only two official ways i've seen at the moment is either iMovie or Quicktime Pro. Can either of these two:

1. Rip dvds into quicktime format?

2. Rip them so that their pretty close to dvd quality.

I also have a few music dvd's that i would like to rip, QT pro seems to have a feature where you can put chapters in, which would be pretty handy instead of having say, 12 music videos separatley. Is this pretty easy to accomplish?

Sorry for the many questions but i'd like to be prepared! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
if you are talking about non-commercial DVD's then handbrake will do all of the above, quite nicely.. and is free.

Reaction score
And there is a program called "Mac the Ripper" for commercial ones

OP
D
Reaction score
Awesome thanks both of you. Mac the ripper looks like just what i need.

Being able to bypass the region controls is pretty handy as i've got a few region 1 dvd's and i don't have a multi region dvd player any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
If you want to convert files for ipod: Video_ts, avi, mpeg, handbrake is good, but you can also try isquint:

http://www.isquint.org/

That's what I've been using. It's a little more straight forward and easier to use then handbrake. But handbrake is still the best. And if you feel like parting with the $99, Toast 8 or 9 rocks and will do just about anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.