help please

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a problem with my macbook. I'm thinking maybe a button is stuck? Every time I do something, my computer talks. (opening new window firefox! for example. or "vertical scroll!" "dashboard, calculator..."). I think it's a talk thing that helps blind people navigate.

Also, when I press any of the buttons on top it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. The mute button makes all the windows go out, the volume down button makes them scroll away vertically, the volume up button makes the dashboard show, etc.

I was thinking restarting the computer would help but it didn't. Also, there seems to be a weird square or something that shows up on webpages and when I x out of webpages it shows up on the dashboard.

I don't think it is a virus because I haven't downloaded anything.

It fixes when I hold the fn button down. I'll press fn and mute adn it mutes, fn and volume up and the volume goes up, etc.

Is a button stuck? Did the computer get jostled? Is there any way to fix this myself or see what it might be or do I have to bring it in? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
ginirosaru,

Go to System Preferences/Speech (in the Systems section) and un-check the checked boxes that give you speech alerts, announcements, etc. That should stop your computer from "talking."

As for the other weird effects you're getting, download and run Mainmenu here: http://www.santasw.com/ Run the maintenance ans permissions scripts and clear the caches. that may help you out!

Noel

OP
G
Reaction score
I just went in and none of the boxes are checked for speech alerts. When I hold the fn key down everything seems to fix and the computer stops talking, the volume controls and brightness controls work again, etc. As soon as I let it go though all the issues come back. It almost seems like the FN key's function got reversed. It's weird.

I suppose I'll have to bring it in; it definitely doesn't seem normal.

Thanks for the idea though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
To fix the sound issue- Apple Menu-> system preferences-> universal access-> turn voice over off.

To fix the keyboard issue- Apple Menu-> system preferences-> Keyboard & mouse-> uncheck use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edit: Noels beat me to it:( He is really on top of things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.