The video memory..

Reaction score
So if buying a MBP, should I really worry and want to get a 512 MB dedicated video memory card rather than a 256mb when it comes to modern gaming of today?

Games that will be like Startcraft II and Diablo III I am thinking 256 should be fine but I'd rather ask those who truly would be able to answer.

What do you guys think? Is 256 still great for laptop video cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I have the base model MBP and just maxed out the RAM. I play a lot of computer games and the base MBP runs them just fine. On a laptop you will not get that many more FPS with the 512MB over the 256MB with most games. The 256MB card should be more than adequate for your needs(unless you plan on playing Crysis and in that case good luck with either machine) and in my opinion the features of the next model up do not justify it's $500 price premium.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So if buying a MBP, should I really worry and want to get a 512 MB dedicated video memory card rather than a 256mb when it comes to modern gaming of today?

Games that will be like Startcraft II and Diablo III I am thinking 256 should be fine but I'd rather ask those who truly would be able to answer.

What do you guys think? Is 256 still great for laptop video cards?

Obviously more is always better when it comes to gaming. If gaming is absolutely top priority, it might be worth spending the extra money on a 512MB card. But in all honesty, laptops often don't make the best gaming machines - particularly Mac laptops where the selection of games is pretty limited (unless you're running Windows on it). But if you intend to just play the occasional game, you should be fine with the 256MB card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Also you may get more/better answers by posting this in the notebook forum instead of here. Just so you know next time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also you may get more/better answers by posting this in the notebook forum instead of here. Just so you know next time.

Good point, moved to Apple Notebooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
I'd say get the 256mb one, reason for this is that if you such a dedicated gamer that you want those few extra fps then your buying the wrong computer... If your a hardcore gamer go build a windows desktop don't buy a macbook pro. Having said that if you just want to play the odd game in your free time to get you buy then the 256 will be sufficient for you :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say get the 256mb one, reason for this is that if you such a dedicated gamer that you want those few extra fps then your buying the wrong computer... If your a hardcore gamer go build a windows desktop don't buy a macbook pro. Having said that if you just want to play the odd game in your free time to get you buy then the 256 will be sufficient for you :)

Agreed - I was going down the same path, but this was better stated.

OP
N
Reaction score
well I can run windows on my Mac can't I? I mean, woudln't that just be like using Windows and have the hardware working fine with it.

It's mostly for the newer games coming like Startcraft II and Diablo III which won't be a while but, yaa know.

OP
N
Reaction score
I guess I want to know will I be able to do the following with a 256 mb 8600 nVidia with the games like:

Any Steam game like HL2, TF2, etc... (Source engines)
Command and Conquer 3

Starcraft 2 (once released)
Diablo III (once released) though a while to come

I just want to know if I get a 256 will it be okay for at least a few years for gaming? I don't care about games like Crysis, if I wanted that, I'd get a desktop.

Just knowing I can play these games and those like it would be great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.