Can't Edit in iTunes?

Reaction score
I took some old MP3 data CD's that i had with a bunch of songs stored on them (made with a windows PC) and took some of the songs and dragged them onto my new MacBook Pro

Now, when i open the songs in iTunes all is good, when i try to edit in iTunes, it's a diffrerent story

The songs appear edited, all the changed made look done, but when i close the songs out and then bring it back in all the previous changes made are no longer made, and the songs appears as it originally did when it was on the CD

Any reason why this happened? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I wouldn't think Windows would have anything to do with it, since MP3 is universal.

Now did you add the songs to your hard drive? Because if you didn't, changing the songs (assuming that by 'edited' you mean changing the name, album, etc) will only occur the time they are open in iTunes, not on the CD.

If you added the songs to your hard drive, then opened them in iTunes, editing them would work.

But if they are on your hard drive, well I'll have to figure that one out.

OP
M
Reaction score
I wouldn't think Windows would have anything to do with it, since MP3 is universal.

Now did you add the songs to your hard drive? Because if you didn't, changing the songs (assuming that by 'edited' you mean changing the name, album, etc) will only occur the time they are open in iTunes, not on the CD.

If you added the songs to your hard drive, then opened them in iTunes, editing them would work.

But if they are on your hard drive, well I'll have to figure that one out.

No they are not on my HD

actually i tested all my songs, and none will stay edited when edited from iTunes

example, i added - song 2 by blur - i edited it as song two - cleared the song from the library then added it to the libraray again and it became song 2 all over again, none of the changed i made stayed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Try adding them to your hard drive before you edit them. That should probably do the trick.

OP
M
Reaction score
Opps, im sorry - yes they are on my HD (i have been having problems with my external HD all week so im still thinking about THAT HD)

Yes they are on my HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. Go to the folder those song are in, right click, then click "Get Info"

see if those files are "Read and Write". you can locate that at the bottom of the Get Info screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you running the most recent version of iTunes? (the current version is 7.6.2)

OP
M
Reaction score
Yep, 7.6.2

i edited it using mediarage... and it worked and stayed edited (but my mediarage is a free version for only 7 days... then i have to pay)

This is weird...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i searched around and I found this. It should help you, it sounds like the same problem you're having. Plus Baggss is a lot more helpful ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Well i searched around and I found this. It should help you, it sounds like the same problem you're having. Plus Baggss is a lot more helpful ;)

lol, thanks - but, that's the same thread i got the idea to use mediarage

i dunno why i can't edit these files, i must say it's quite frustrating

i just got a MBP, my last apple was a performa back in the early 90's so it's been a while since i have been on an apple, and i have to say, it's been quite a frustrating ride thus far, i hope it gets easier :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about converting the ID3 tags? Right click the song, and it should say for example "Convert to AAC" or something like that.

OP
M
Reaction score
What about converting the ID3 tags? Right click the song, and it should say for example "Convert to AAC" or something like that.

Just tried it... no go

actually after i converted the tages and edited them, when i reopened the song, it was no longer converted

btw: these songs are not locked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the song name is the same in iTunes as the song in Finder, try changing the file's name in Finder, then re-open iTunes and see if that works.

If not, I really don't know how to diagnose your problem any further. :\

Maybe someone of more experience could help you tomorrow.

(well.. later today really lol)

OP
M
Reaction score
If the song name is the same in iTunes as the song in Finder, try changing the file's name in Finder, then re-open iTunes and see if that works.

If not, I really don't know how to diagnose your problem any further. :\

Maybe someone of more experience could help you tomorrow.m

(well.. later today really lol)

Tired that as well :(

Yea, i'm just as confused - it really doesn't make any sense, but regardless, i do appreciate the help, thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! I'm trying here lol ;P

My brain is moving sluggishly and Google isn't being my friend, haha. All it comes up with is the stuff you have already tried.

OP
M
Reaction score
It seems that baggss may have been right from his comment, that itunes wont accept changes for whatever reason - i looked too - my only alternative at this moment is to purchase mediarage, but it's $30 for something i SHOULD be able to do for free on itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can download it for free here. just click the link right under the big (of course lol) "Buy It Now" link. It should pop up with the Downloads window and start downloading a file called "media-rage-342.dmg.cz"

OP
M
Reaction score
Yea same deal, installed and when opened it says it's an unlicensed copy and must be registered and will only work for 7 days... boo!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.