Adding RAM to MacBook - Need Advice

Reaction score
I have been reading other posts and I think I have everything right but please let me know if anything is wrong. I'm ordering more RAM memory for my MacBook (2d gen). Here are the spec for it currently:

MacBook
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB (2 x 512MB) 667 MHz DDR2

I am upgrading the RAM to 2GB (1GB x 2) from Crucial. Here is a link to the actual kit I'm buying. The other one that I was thinking about buying was the Kingston kit (link). However, the price difference made me go with the Crucial ($47.99 vs. $70).

What do you guys think? Is this the correct choice? Thanks in advance for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
holden636,

Crucial is good RAM, so I'd say you are making a good choice. Have you considered going to 4GB? If you can afford the difference, your Macbook performance will be the better for it.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Actually, your Macbook can support up to 3GB. The (SR) Santa Rosa models can support 4GB.

"However, third-parties have discovered that "pre-Santa Rosa" MacBook models equipped with a "Core 2 Duo" processor will work with 3 GB of RAM (those with a Core 2 Duo processor released prior to November 1, 2007) -- which requires a 2 GB module and a 1 GB module."
"This "mismatched" configuration will modestly compromise performance of video-related tasks but likely will be of interest for users who primarily use the system for CPU and memory-intensive tasks."

"Other World Computing has posted detailed test results comparing the performance of the MacBook configured with matched and mismatched memory." http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/faq/macbook-how-to-upgrade-ram.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR3GBK/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
Any known brand will do the job, just don't settle for a weird brand RAM.

Reaction score
I have just installed 2 x 2Gb of Kington RAM in my macbook, and everything seems to be running fine - so far. :)

OP
holden636
Reaction score
holden636,

Crucial is good RAM, so I'd say you are making a good choice. Have you considered going to 4GB? If you can afford the difference, your Macbook performance will be the better for it.

Noel

Thanks. I was going up to 2GB only because that's all I thought I needed. I'm not currently having any problems with the 1GB currently installed and I don't download any music or video piles on this computer (have a Dell PC for that). I was more so upgrading the RAM for precautionary measures. I recently got Photoshop (although still haven't figured out how to use it) and didn't want it to slow my computer down in the future.

Reaction score
I have just installed 2 x 2Gb of Kington RAM in my macbook, and everything seems to be running fine - so far. :)

Am abt to do similar upgrade to my older machine. 2.0Ghz Duo Core version. system came with 2 x 256MB. Can I just purchase 1 x 2GB and install to the machine? (my machine support max to 2GB only) tks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.