Does the iBoook G4.....?

• Thread starter X Im just meE o
  • Start date
X

X Im just meE o

I basically... I wanted to ask you....

Does it scratch easily, and is there a way to remove the scratches if so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Errrm... yes & no:

The case is made of some sort of plastic with a scratch resistant coating (I believe anyway)

But it IS more scratchable than a powerbook for example.
But because it's white and shiny, you can't really see any scratches unless you look at it against the light.

Scratches can be removed will any abrasive polish (search for iPod scratch removers - they'll get the job done, or for a cheaper solution try Brasso)

But I have a sleeve to put mine in when I'm carrying it round, and I haven't got any scratches so far (5 months old)

Reaction score
I bought some of that iPod polish to remove the scratches from my iPod, I wasn't impressed with the results.

OP
C

code777

my iBook is only one month old and its scuffed to __(on the bottom) and the top has a few scuff marks. Not much you can do about it. I tried my hardest to keep it from getting scuffed but hey, as long as it works and not gashed to pieces! Again, you can't really see scuff marks unless you hold it against the light, then you'll see them.

My friend's Powerbook is pretty dinged up and scratched but he is in a traveling band and his stuff gets abused pretty bad he said. But his PB is running strong so far. But his has some VERY obvious scratches, dings, scuffs, cracks! so...

oh and that stuff for the iPod DOES NOT WORK so don't waste ur money. There are other ways to get scuffs out but I just feel it gives the book more character and well, can't really see them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there are several different iPod scratch removers out there, but as I said in my original post, just get a bottle of brasso (no kidding!) and use that to polish your iBook if you really can't stand the scratches.

It basically removes some of the plastic around the scratches so that it blends in more...

OP
X

X Im just meE o

I heard of sleeves, on other forums on Mac-Forums.com, and.... Do you know of any other sites for the iBook Sleeves? and are these sleeves protectable?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I tried Brasso on my iBook, but it only works with hair line scratches. So beware of those deep scratches. Brasso does make the iBook a bit more glossier afterwards, when it's been a while since you've had your iBook.

OP
X

X Im just meE o

Basicaly, I only want to know, if its going to scratch easily. Is it? Or, is it like regular Notebooks such as Hp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say it's like regular notebooks, but because of the elegant, clean, white surface, you tend to notice it more...

Normally you wouldn't mind, but because it's such a clean design you want to keep it perfect.

It's not a big deal though, seriously...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
www.marware.com

didn't I post this link in another thread you already posted on?

OP
T

tritonxiv

Ok buddy here's the deal. The iBook does scratch, however brasso polish will get the scratches out, and even the deep ones will practically dissapear with a little elbow grease.

One thing however I think I should mention is the iBook's brute ruggedness. D*mn, this little guy should have been dead long ago. Just today it got slamed to the floor when my foot got snagged on a hanging iPod cable. It went down hard on metal, and wood, got a few heavy battle scars (later removed by brasso) The iPod cable connector got ripped out and was bent and ruined but the actual usb port on the ibook still looks great and works fine. I let out a scrream of death when this thing fell, and this is coming from a guy that's already banged his 'book around a fair share. This was a hard hit....any other laptop (dell hp ect) would have been history. Not this bad a** little mutha. He's still working wonders, even as we speak (i'm typing this on the iBook in question) Also the screen dosent seem to scratch at all in comparison to most pc brands.

So what I'm saying is if you want a laptop for the long run, the iBook is the way to go.

OP
C

code777

well to be fair i dropped my Sony VAIO once down a flight of stairs and it still worked but within a month things went bad, the screen started to go white and fade in and out so I knew it was done. After that my brother gave me his entry level Toshiba Sat. the thing scratched like mad and you could see it since it was black. I never thought of using brasso, interesting!

OP
X

X Im just meE o

Hm...., tritonxiv.... Could you take pictures of your iBook and send them too me? I would love to see how tough this thing realy is. ^^

OP
T

tritonxiv

There's no point taking pics of my iBook cause it looks pretty much the same as when I bought it. That's the point.

Trust me dude, if i cant break this thing physically, i doubt you could.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.