My hard drive is gone!

VSG

Reaction score
I accidently set the access to my second hard drive to "no access" (get info - ownership & permissions). When I restarted the computer, it won't show up on the screen anymore.

I see it in Disk Utility, but the icon is a piece of paper instead of a drive. And I'm not sure how to get back.

Anyone have any tips??

Thanks
-VSG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
VSG,

Can you select it in Disk Utility and have it Verify Permissions or Repair Permissions? Or verify Disk or Repair disk? Also try right clicking on it and see if you can mount it...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not give the OS. If what Noels suggests is a no goer, go to Finder>Preferences>Show External Drives and make sure that is selected.

OP
V

VSG

Reaction score
I'm on OS X 10.4.11

Verify and Repair Disk Permissions are greyed out. I can mount and unmount the HD but that doesn't change. There is a "mount point" which shows a link, but if I click it, if just beeps and nothing happens.

I did the finder preferences and show HDs was already checked.

I also did a "find" from file menu and searched for visible or invisible files and it didn't show up.

When I click the info button in disk utility, it says "used: 0 bytes". Is that pretty much a sign that I'm screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK pop your install Tiger DVD in and boot holding down 'C'. Go to Utilities>Disk Utility>Repair Disk and see how you go from there. You cannot repair a volume you are booted from hence booting from the install DV D.

Keep us posted.

OP
V

VSG

Reaction score
This is just an additional storage hard drive. It's not a bootable drive (doesn't have OS X installed, but I obviously had to format it for mac).

OP
V

VSG

Reaction score
Problem solved!!

I logged in as the "root" user and was able to see the drive and change the permissions to "read & write".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
VSG,

Glad you found the solution - that's a good one to remember..

Noel

OP
V

VSG

Reaction score
Well thanks to harryb2448's suggestion I booted up from the CD and it showed the second HD and I noticed somewhere when I was clicking around it said "root user". So I figured if I can log in as root user maybe it will show up and I'll be able to change the permissions.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pleased to be able to help. Invaluable bit of equipment these install DVDs!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.