Rejecting DVD-R but not CDs

Reaction score
Hi, I have a G4 Dual processor tower and I hadn't tried burning a DVD-R for a while. I now have a video I want to burn, and when I put in the blank DVD-R it is immediately rejected. I have tried several new ones, all Sony's (120 min, 4.7GB, 1x-8x) and I have used these before, but it has been awhile.

Since last burning a DVD-R, I upgraded my memory and filled all of the card slots. Things have been working fine, and I can burn CDs. I got to System Profiler and it says I can burn DVD-Rs. I have also restarted the computer and reset the Pram.

I am on OS 10.4.whatever (I'm typing this from my laptop, so can't tell you the specific version)

Could it possibly be I need to clean the drive (but why does it burn CDs?)?

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
tmw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
now have a video I want to burn, and when I put in the blank DVD-R it is immediately rejected. I have tried several new ones, all Sony's (120 min, 4.7GB, 1x-8x) and I have used these before, but it has been a while. Could it possibly be I need to clean the drive (but why does it burn CDs?)?

Very frustrating when this happens. I've been through a similar process, tried several brands of new DVD disks, both +R and -R, but it was the burner (Pioneer) that was the problem. Nothing wrong with it per se, just that the media technology had left it behind. It meant an upgrade of burner to one that was compatible with the media ie. disks.

You may find that you need to upgrade your burner. Check your model of burner hardware, visit the maker's website and check the standard of media with which it is still compatible. CD technology is pretty much static now, that's why you can burn them without trouble.

A lens cleaner may improve things, you can but give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First question does it have a DVD/CD combo installed? Check with Apple System Profiler on burning formats and use those. Optical drives do fail and it may well be time for a new one.

You will be able to install a Pioneer DVR-115D 20X DL burner as cheap as chips ~ $39 here in Australia.

Go to xlr8yourmac.com and they have how to's there complete with photos if needed.

OP
T
Reaction score
Rejecting DVD-R but not CDs - Thanks!

Thanks, much for your words of advice. I'll try these.
tmwdnc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's not unknown for DVD drives to stop cooperating with DVDs, but work fine with CDs (and vice versa).

It sounds like the laser is done for. You'll have to get a new drive I'm afraid.

OP
T
Reaction score
Rejecting DVD-R but not CDs - Thanks!

Well, someone gave me a DVD disc they had, and it worked. I wonder if it is because my old DVDs are 1x-8x, but it seems that new ones are up to 16x compatible (I had those other DVDs for over a year!). I had upgraded my computer, so maybe this affected it? It would be nice to know if that was it.

Thanks to everyone!
tmw

Reaction score
Have you tried to clean the lens? Get a DVD/CD Cleaning Kit. Usually has a disc with a small brush on it. You squirt some cleaning solution on the brush and insert the disc into the drive. Let it run. Then test the drive again.

Reaction score
I have been having problems with my Mini Mac, where it keeps CD's in the drive and i have to go through many different ways to try and get it to give it me back. So basically i cannot use the CD drive on my Mini Mac. Now that is just stupid, how can such a amazing piece of kit break so easily!? I cannot use anything. I put something in, it keeps it. No icon on desktop, No icon in the folder options. Nothing nowhere! So i have to use the clicking of the mouse to get it to eject the CD. I think Apple are trying to get me to buy there ONLY CD/DVD drive from there website....Either that or there drives are rubbish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you have to underastand Apple do not make thbe optical drives, just install Pioneer or some other brand. If you still have warranty, or were wise enough to take out the extended Apple care, take it to a reseller and explain your problem.

Optical drives, like everything electrical, do fail. And minis are like laptops with everything minituarized which does sometimes lead to probnlems desktops do not experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have been having problems with my Mini Mac, where it keeps CD's in the drive ... So basically i cannot use the CD drive on my Mini Mac ...I cannot use anything. I put something in, it keeps it. No icon on desktop, No icon in the folder options. Nothing nowhere!

My sympathies for your situation. The reason you cannot see the disk icon or eject the disk normally is that it is not mounting. Why that is so could be something as simple as a dirty laser lens - have you tried cleaning it? Use Google for Take Apart Mac Mini. And, as harryb says, optical drives do fail.

You can determine what brand of CD drive is in your Mac Mini through Disk Utility, maybe System Profiler. Then you can investigate (eg. via Google) any issues concerning that brand of drive and if there are solutions to the problem. Most answers I've seen say (more-or-less) "give up on the internal drive, get an external one". Pioneer brand is reliable and works well with Mac. Optical drives are not expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe the optical drive in your new computer is not compatible with the DVD-R format? Go to About this Mac>More Info>Disc Burning and see what is recorded there, looking for DVD-R in particular.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.