The Installer Disc Could Not Be Found

Reaction score
Ok, so I've had TERRIBLE luck with Bootcamp.

The first time, it killed my Hard Drive.
THAT was quite a fiasco.

The second time, I got a disk error because I couldn't format the hard drive through the installer.

And now, Boot Camp can't even read the disc! I am getting VERY frustrated.
I have gone through three LEGAL copies of Windows XP Pro, and I am NOT happy.
Running Windows was one of the main reasons I bought a mac.

The second disk that produces a disk error is because of the fact that it's a quick installer that fills in certain options for you, skipping the option to format the hard drive.
Is there a workaround for this?

The third disc is a regular version, but when I put it in the drive and click 'start installation' in the Boot Camp Assistant, it says "The installer disc could not be found."

I have tried logging in as root, and the disc appears on the hard drive.
I have tried burning the disc and using the burned copy.

I am getting VERY frustrated and this has not been a good experience for me.
What happened to, "It just works?"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Running Windows was one of the main reasons you bought a Mac? :(

Are you sure you're installing a correct version of Windows XP Pro? Have you read all the Boot Camp instructions before attempting to install?

You can only install a FULL (not upgrade) version of XP Home or Pro SP2. OEM restore disks or branded OEM install disks will not work correctly. You can use either an MS boxed version or a generic system builders OEM version but they have to be FULL install SP2 on one disk.

Regards.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, I love OSX, but I don't like the idea of being completely unable to access Windows.

I've read the instructions.
I'm using a system builder's disc.
It's full SP2.

Reaction score
the installer disc could not be found

I have the same problem. I bought both my computer and WindowsXP four days ago, so everything's up to date. In fact, I showed the apple store people the Windows software today, and they agreed that I have the right one. I also had Best Buy test the Windows software to make sure it wasn't defective. But when I try to install, I also get the message "the installer disc could not be found" even though the disc icon clearly shows up on the desktop. What can be done? I never thought I'd be saying this, but I think it's a Mac rather than a Windows problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It can't be a Mac problem because the vast majority of folks who install Windows through Boot Camp have no difficulty whatsoever. My install went well the first time I attempted it and I was using a system builders OEM XP Home SP2 full install disk.

If you've followed all the instructions given in the Boot Camp info file and you have the correct disk, I would take the disk back to Best Buy and ask for another. If the new disk doesn't work, take the machine into the Apple store along with the disk and ask for assistance. If an Apple tech can't install it, then perhaps you do indeed have a defective something. Ask for a new machine. A four day old machine should work perfectly.

Regards.

Reaction score
I talked to the guy at the apple store and he said that when people have trouble installing Windows--and he said that quite a few do--the best thing to try first is to get rid of the partition and then repartition the computer. I repartitioned the computer three times and the third time I was able to install Windows.(I also lowered the size of the Windows side from 32GB to 25GB, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.)

Reaction score
Me Too!

hi guys, i am having this stupid problem too, but i dont have a shop bought one, i got a copy of my friends xp pro sp2 slipstream.

its on a dvd and it reads on my desktop fine, but it still came up with that message, so i tried copying it onto a cd. but no dice.

any pointers?

please dont tell me to buy a new copy of xp...
i dont want to support them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, we won't tell you to buy a full install SP2 legal copy if that's what you want, but that's what you're going to need..... :Smirk:

Regards.

Reaction score
what works for me

I had the same problem with a variety of (legitimate) Windows install discs. I tried erasing and re-creating the partition as a previous poster suggested with no luck also. What finally worked was rebooting with the install disc in the drive and then proceeding with the install.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
try virtual pc 7 it works great!!!

Sure... on a PPC Mac, assuming you downloaded a copy before development ceased. Modern Intel Macs require a different solution, in those cases, if virtualization is a viable option, you'll want to take a look at Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox.

Reaction score
Me too too!

"The installer disc could not be found. Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized."

Okay, trying to instal Windows 7 Ultimate. I have the latest iMac (2011) with maxed out i7, RAM, video. It has SSD, OS X Lion, partition via Boot Camp Asst, downloaded drivers/whatnot. As far as I know, there should be nothing wrong with the machine.

Purchased W7U through Parallels, they sent me the W7U disc, started up BC Asst, and I get the error message.

I can clearly see the disc in Finder. What the...? Help me, Mac-Forums, you are my only hope. (Sort of.)

:Not-Amused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a PC that you can borrow? If you do, try inserting the Win 7 Ultimate DVD and see if you can boot with it. You may have a bad disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Same error :( I never have good luck should return mac and buy a pc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.