ibook g4 a1055 1.33ghz lcd screen replacement

Reaction score
yesterday i purchased an ibook g4 1.33ghz model a1055 at a thrift store for $20!
of course it wasnt in perfect shape... it had a cracked LCD. but i tested it and the computer works fine.
after scouring the internet for info on changing the lcd i came across a site on how to remove the the lcd

http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions_en,apple.shtml

easy part done, i removed the screen.
now for the hard part... which lcd screens out there are compatible with my "wide" 1.5" 30pin connector?
the screen i removed was a chi mei - N141XB-L03 Rev.C1

the options that i seem to have are purchase a new one for over $200 online or try my luck on ebay.

before i make that investment does anyone out there know if i can use a "G3" 14" display? from what ive read, im sure ill need to do a bit of hacking... like replacing the video/data cable. if thats an option please explain and forward any online tutorials and what are the disadvantages (as im sure the 30pin had an advantage over the 20pin).
also...
does it matter if its a N141XB-L0(1-4) instead of a N141XB-L03. does it matter if its a Rev.C(1-4) instead of a Rev.C1?

ive also read online that people have use an lcd form "PC's" like the "LTN141XB-L02" 14.1" LCD Screen from the HP Compaq NC6000/NC6220.

thanks for sticking with me through this looong post, but i figure if i ask a lot of detailed questions this can become a concise resource for all those with the same woes.

thanks in advance for all your collective expert knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I used G3 screens on G4 iBooks. I repaired a 1.2 and a 1.33 and one of them I needed to replace the data cable, the other I didn't. I picked up the cable for $20 and the screens for $90 each on eBay. I even found someone at the time who was selling the entire G3 top lid for $100. I bought two of them but they were stolen at my front door. Never saw a refund because it was USPS.

OP
M
Reaction score
process?

I used G3 screens on G4 iBooks. I repaired a 1.2 and a 1.33 and one of them I needed to replace the data cable, the other I didn't. I picked up the cable for $20 and the screens for $90 each on eBay.

is there a disadvatage to using a G3 lcd? less res? less anything?
what was the basic process of switching out the data cable on the G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did this maybe a year ago.
All of the 14" LCD's for Apple use the same resolution 1024x768. I think I had to take apart most of the laptop because the data connection on the logic board was on the bottom of the board. To get there, you need to remove a lot of stuff.
ifixit has an excellent walkthough.

OP
M
Reaction score
data cable

im going to try the G3 14" LCD on my G4 14" 1.33.
what data cable will fit the 1" 20 pin connector as well as my G4 14" 1.33 logic board? will i need a G3 cable? will this fit my G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The connection on the logic board is the same. The only difference *may* be the end that plugs into the rear of the LCD panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.