iPod Mini Troubles!!!

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought a silver iPod mini. (using it on a PC... XP). I installed the software that came with the iPod then plugeed it in when it said. Then windows asked me to format the device. So i picked FAT32. It did that, then i tried to turn it on. The apple symbol shows up, then a after that a folder shows up on the screen with a triangular sign with an excalmation mark. It just turns off after this. When i run the updater, it just says "Can't mount iPod". Then thats it. I downlaod the new updater but it does the same thing. Whatc an i do! The manual doesn't help at all!!!

Thanks everyone!

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Oh yeah... here are some pictures... The first one is when the iPod isn't plugged in. If i plug it in, it loads then the 2nd picture i posted is the result. I can't hit the restore button, because after it says it can't mount it exits. And when i plus it in at the 1st picture, it just loads. How do i Restore the iPod???

bbpitc.JPG

View attachment abpitc.bmp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would try searching the help forums on iPodlounge.com

I believe there is a way to force the iPod into disk mode, which should enable you to manually reformat it under windows.

It will then appear as a normal external harddrive, until you run the updater again, which should be able to restore the mini's software.

Check out ipodlounge.com and search the forums for troubleshooting tips...

Z

zeppster

Putting iPod mini or iPod (Click Wheel) into Disk Mode

Plug the iPod Power Adapter into an electrical outlet and connect iPod to the power adapter.

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least 6 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Ive treid those steps on the apple site. When it tells me to plug it in to configure, i do and it doesn't do anyhting after that.

I've done those steps with the buttons, and i have a screen with a check and says "Ok to disconnect" with "Disk Mode" at the top. I unplugged it and have the same thing showing. Now what????

Thanks by the way!

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Crap! On iPodlonge it says your are not suppose to format the iPod with windows explorer or finder if ur on a mac. Thats what i did. Windows deleted everything off of it and formatted it with FAT32. It says there is firmware on it that cannot be deleted and i think thats what happend. So now what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Part of the iPods software is on it's harddrive, and yes, you're not supposed to format it with Windows Explorer or Mac OS Finder. You're supposed to connect it, and run the iPod software the first time you use it.

That's what manuals are made for, so first read, then use...

I'm afraid you need to bring the iPod to Apple, so that they can restore it completely with their service software.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
How would i bring it to them?? I live in Canada... so.... ??? It doesnt say anywhere in the manual when setting it up you can format with windows explorer. THis is my first apple product and its ruined :(

Edit: I bought an extended 2 year warranty at Future Shop so its going to be brought there Wednesday and i'll get a new one in return on thrusday. I'm REALLY glad i got the warranty!

Thanks for everyones advice/help. I really appriciate it.

Z

zeppster

Call apple first, see if there is anything you can do yourself. I imagine this happens a lot.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Too late. It's already been sent up. I searched and searched on the apple site for a phone number for support, but couldn'y find one. Thanks for your replies people!

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Alright! I got my new iPod. I installed the software and it works when its on. Now i can't put music on it... DO i need to do an update first? Cause when i try, it just says Can't mount iPod. Whats else can i do? I downloaded the newest updater. 2004-11-15. Any help??

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
shaun89 said:
Alright! I got my new iPod. I installed the software and it works when its on. Now i can't put music on it... DO i need to do an update first? Cause when i try, it just says Can't mount iPod. Whats else can i do? I downloaded the newest updater. 2004-11-15. Any help??
Alright! i think i post to many times in a row. Sorry for that.... I got it working so i would jsut like to say thanks so much to everyone for replying, supporting, and helping!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.