Am I getting HD with my LCD monitor?

Reaction score
I have a macbook and I'm displaying it on my 22' Samsung monitor through the DVI port. What I want to know is when I play DVDs through the system, is it being displayed in HD? If I buy a PS3 or 360 will I get HD resolutions like 720p, 1080i, and/or 1080p? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what resolution is your monitor set to?

Regular DVD's are 480p, unless you upconvert btw.

OP
R
Reaction score
1680 x 1050

I know about the 480p, I was wondering is it being upconverted automatically since my screens resolution is so high?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PowerMac Dual 2.3 GHz 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Os X 10.4.11
Are Blu-Rays 1080p?

If you upconvert, you aren't actually getting 1080p, you're still at 480p, aren't you? How can you get more resolution out of something when it's limited on the front end?

Jon

Reaction score
well macs cant do bluray - the most u can do is hooki MP4s ie ripps - the monitor is 1680 By 1050 - look at rez - its up to 1050 pixels - not 1080 - the rezolution for TVs is silly as there 16/9 aspect but macs are 16/10 same as all computer gear - But anything you throw at it will look fine. Media is in all types of formats - Mp4 is what you want to aim for - but that will give u know idea of rezolution.

OP
R
Reaction score
I found out that the 360 will now do VGA resolutions of 1680 x 1050

yes, it's 16:10 as Savo mentioned above

All I know is my DVDs look great through my macbook on my monitor and I'm sure one day an affordable external Blu Ray player will be available

btw, I have MP4 rips, but my DVDs still look way better

Reaction score
Sadly as mac owners we will currently never be able to play blurays with our current hardware as all comercial HD content has whats called HDCP - high def contect protection or something. This is a HARDWARE requirement on the graphics card that macs do not have. for this reason untill a new imac comes out with such Hardware and the licence it requires were stuck with Hoocky MP4s / Containers such as MKVs - I have a few ripps using XBOX360Drives in windows and they look amazing. BUT all in all - HD is overratted unless you have a mofo big 37+ tv else Its hard to notis the difference as a good upscalling DVD player will look similar.
Sadly the market has made the world computer world obsessed with Television standards rezolutions and qualities - As long as your media looks awsum which If youv done your homework surely that is what is important.

Nuff Said XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.