question about area codes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I'm planning on buying an iphone soon, but I guess this is a question about cell phones in general. When you purchase a new cell phone and get a new number, is your area code automatically based on the place where you purchased the phone or can you request a specific area code?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I'm planning on buying an iphone soon, but I guess this is a question about cell phones in general. When you purchase a new cell phone and get a new number, is your area code automatically based on the place where you purchased the phone or can you request a specific area code?

The area code you get is automatically based on the place where you buy the phone. If you live in a state with more than one area code sometimes you can request the area code you want in that state that is if you are in the USA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you wanted a specific location, you could probably just call them and say "I"m moving to ______ and need to change to a local phone number." I did that once before moving and they took care of it with no fuss. At that time I got a really good deal on a plan that was only offered for a month. When I moved again they said I would have to give up the plan if I wanted to change my number. So long story short, I've lived in 3 new states since then with the same number.

I guess actually having a phone number form where you really live isn't such a big deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.