disappearing external hard drives

psp

Reaction score
G4 Dual 867 2g OS10.5.4. I have 2 external drives (Lacie 200g USB • Western Digital 120g USB) that unmount unexpectedly, sometimes they remount. Any solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums.

Using Firewire which is so much better than USB2?

Always boot and then connect external drive, and when finished drag icon to the trash before disconnecting and have no problems.

OP
P

psp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but that's not my problem. The drives unmount themselves for no apparent reason, sometimes they remount themselves, other times I have to manually mount them. These drives are used daily and it would be a nuisance to plug and unplug everyday since they are attached to the back of the Mac and not a hub. Any other suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Always boot and then connect external drive, and when finished drag icon to the trash before disconnecting and have no problems.

That is neither necessary nor practical. If this were Windows I might agree, otherwise it is a waste of time. I've been using Macs for over 12 years and have never heard nor followed this advice.

To the OP, are the drives daisy chained together or are they each plugged into the USB ports. It is posable that the USB controller on the Motherboard is going and only the drives are being affected. What version of OSX are you running?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.