12' and 14'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I have read everything I could find on the 12' and 14' ibooks. And it seems I am not the only one having a hard time making the decision of which one to get. The only big difference between the two I keep hearing is the weight issue. Is the 14' that much heavier in person? Is the extra pound that bad?

Because I am thinking of getting the Ibook G4 14' Ill mainly be using it for internet/mail plus using adobe photoshop etc. So I think it's my best bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, the pound isnt a huge difference, I dont have an ibook, but have carried many, its not that much difference, but it also depends on the individual, Im about 6 ft tall, 220 lbs, and can easily lift fresh 150 to 175 lbs, my hand weighs more than a pound, so a pound isnt a lot to me, but it may be for someone else, depends on the individual, also depends on if youll carry it in a case, a case of some kind.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I probably won't even carry it around that much, probably sit on my desk most of the time and if I feel like relaxing on the couch with it, sitting on my lap.

Reaction score
The only way I would spend more on a 14in over a 12in is if it came with a screen that supported 1400x1050.

X

X Im just meE o

I think if you can't really spend that much, you should get the 12", but the 14" looks pretty good to get if it is basically for the home. I'm getting the 14" probably, which it says below. But... I have to see if I really want it, I'm going to the Apple retail store this week, probably. You should go to an Apple store near you, if you want to test them out or just see them in person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I doubt that an additional pound will make any difference for you. (unless you have trouble carrying 6 pounds)

As for me, I got the 14" because of the extra real estate. I suggest that you spend a little extra for a bigger screen, faster processor and a larger HD.

I tried to weigh my hand, but that's that's more difficult than you think :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I went for the 12" as portability is an issue for me - I need to take my iBook to university nearly every day, so it's not just a matter of weight (some textbooks weigh as much as my iBook) but of size.

The 12" looks and feels like a heavyish textbook, along with all the others in my bag. I can take a large rucksack, or a small messenger bag and the iBook fits fine. The 14" would take up a lot more space and I'd always have to take my larger rucksack to transport it, which might make me think twice about taking it in at all (even though I can get a lot more done when I take my iBook in with me..)

So I got the 12"...it's all about your usage requirements...

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
immdb said:
I doubt that an additional pound will make any difference for you. (unless you have trouble carrying 6 pounds)

As for me, I got the 14" because of the extra real estate. I suggest that you spend a little extra for a bigger screen, faster processor and a larger HD.

I tried to weigh my hand, but that's that's more difficult than you think :)

Do you find your 14' Ibook to heavy? Or did you expect it to weigh as much as it did?

C

code777

My friend has the 14 and I have the 12 and to be honest, i don't see any big difference in weight at all. screen size yes but it all depends on if you want that extra 2" of space. Again on the 12 you can adjust sizes but you'll have to scroll more on certain webpages. My friend went for the 14 because he needed a DVD burner on the go. He has a desktop (iMac G4) but recently he has been mobile a lot because of his new sales job. For him he has never owned a screen less than 15" so he said he'd never use a 12 as its tiny to him.

Again its your needs and what amount you want to spend. I find the 12 good but of course I'd love to get a 15" PB!

Reaction score
code777 said:
Again on the 12 you can adjust sizes but you'll have to scroll more on certain webpages.

Nope, the screen resolution is the same. The 12in is going to show just as much of a webpage as the 14in.

C

code777

really? because my friend and i compared them this past weekend and for whatever reason mine I had to scroll to the right more to see more and his showed the whole page.

then again my fonts are increased so maybe that has something to do with it?

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So would most of you get the 14' Ibook if it was the same price as the 12'?

C

code777

I think if the 14" was the same price as the 12" and had the same specs i might go with the 14" just because of the extra real estate. BUT after using the 12 for over a month I really like it and am use to it. The screen seems sharper than my friends 14 and its proportioned better IMO. But again if they were the same price I probably would go with the 14.

the apple store in my area has told me the iBook 12" is the fastest seller and the most popular model. It outsells the 14".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Id go with the 14", IF it was the same price.

C

ChicoWeb

We should sticky a 12' and 14' ibook thread. Seems like they get asked about 3 or 4 times a week.

S

suhasG

Infact i too asked this question on this forum and at the end got 12" ibook.

If you want real Compact size then look no further and get 12". While web browsing you can enlarge the text at a click of a mouse and so with several other applications. If you want to use it at home , then you can always connect an external monitor. External HDD takes care of extra storage needs. 1.33 GHz is really not a big speed improvement over 1.2 Ghz.

At the end , if you are planning to move a lot then 12" is the best choice. If you want it as a desktop replacement then 14" has got a point.

12" is cheaper by $300 and with that money you can upgrade RAM, get a nice external HDD, nice caseand a lot.

I don't have any regrates what so ever after choosing 12" over 14".

Regards

SuhasG

C

code777

If you look at the 12" the price is a steal for an Apple. $1000 and you now get the Airport Extreme! If you need a laptop for 'everyday' use this is a no-brainer. 1.2Ghz is plenty, 30GB HDD is also plenty BUT I know a lot of people out there like to store like 5,000 songs on their HDD and 1,000 pics so you might want to upgrade to a larger HDD or invest in an external firewire HDD OR if you have a 20 or 40GB iPod you can use that as your external HDD to store various apps.

If you are mobile a lot, 12 is a no brainer. SuhasG basically pointed it all out.

If you are into burning DVDs, making your own short movies, editing photos/vids then look into the 14" with a superdrive w/the largest HDD you can get for it. Or a 15" Powerbook...

But again if the 14" and 12" were the exact same price with the same specs I bet a lot of people would take the 14.

I will say the 12" screen does not bother me at all, even though when I walk into the Apple Store the thing looks like a tiny toy compared to the 15" Powerbook!

i say get the 12" iBook and spend the extra loot on RAM! you'll be happy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.