how to get the best life out of the battery?

Reaction score
Hi, Recently bought me a new MBP, now just wondering what is the best way to use the AC vs battery.

I normally have the opportunity to have the AC plugged in which basicly keeps the battery fully charged. Is it however better to have it discharged now and then? Or for example discharge it not further than 50% before recharging it again. I am only looking at getting the best life out of it.

What is your opinion / experience?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, Recently bought me a new MBP, now just wondering what is the best way to use the AC vs battery.

I normally have the opportunity to have the AC plugged in which basicly keeps the battery fully charged. Is it however better to have it discharged now and then? Or for example discharge it not further than 50% before recharging it again. I am only looking at getting the best life out of it.

What is your opinion / experience?

The battery in your MacBook Pro is not like the old NiCd batteries that have a memory. There is no need to discharge it completely before recharging it. In fact, the studies I've read seem to indicate that keeping it from discharging completely will add to the longevity of the battery. In my experience, keeping the battery fully charged or routinely discharging to 50% will not result in significant loss of capacity any more than age will.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.