• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cant Wait

H

hustla

Cant wait till i have enough money to buy my ibook

so far i have $400 saved

but i want to use my ibook for travel, graphics, scripting, surfing on the side but my main desktop usually does most of this now...

its hard to get that much for a student in h.s. but soon i can join in...

Mac OS X is unix based correct. So it shouldnt be to hard to adjust to since i use Linux as my main desktop and use mac os X at school right?

btw im new here :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Welcome to the forums :)

OP
D

Desolate One

Welcome aboard!

I'd say you're correct in thinking the learning curve will be less steep coming from a Linux user and also considering you use OS X at school. You shouldn't need any time to adjust really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Welcome to the forums! OS X is based on FreeBSD (a version called Nextstep) and includes a command line terminal called Darwin. A simply wonderful OS :alien:

OP
H

hustla

thanks yea but i just found out i can get a student discount so that helps to :)

Reaction score
Can you get that discount if your only in high school ? Or is it just a college/university thing?

OP
H

hustla

im in highschool so if you are too you should be able to what u do is on apple's site you go to the education store and look for your school :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, student dicounts are for ALL students, even my niece in kindergarten. I love apple:mac:

OP
V

vuschejan

hustla said:
Cant wait till i have enough money to buy my ibook

so far i have $400 saved

but i want to use my ibook for travel, graphics, scripting, surfing on the side but my main desktop usually does most of this now...

its hard to get that much for a student in h.s. but soon i can join in...

Mac OS X is unix based correct. So it shouldnt be to hard to adjust to since i use Linux as my main desktop and use mac os X at school right?

btw im new here :)

Aye, I'm in H.S. as well, and I remember when I started saving. Took a bit, but not to long. Its crazy waiting, but its great when you get to the end!

OP
D

Danster

My uncle has his own buisness (woodshop)
and he got me my imac VAT free :cool:
cos business's get VAT knocked for computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
whats vat? I own my own small business and so far qualify for business discounts from apple, plus I have many friends that work for apple and often lend me their discount added to the already discounted price, I used that recently to buy the highest g5 imac for 1400$ for a friend with limited funds.

OP
H

hustla

vuschejan said:
Aye, I'm in H.S. as well, and I remember when I started saving. Took a bit, but not to long. Its crazy waiting, but its great when you get to the end!

yea but i jus started "seriously" saving last week

cause I was buying clothes and stuff but i want a better Computer....

Linux is cool but to much Config editing u kno

here are my desktops

Windows, Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu

ssquic.JPG

Screenshot.png

Screenshot.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.