help with battery/no battery usage

Reaction score
i usually use my macbook pro with the ac adaptor plugged in, but i noticed that if the battery is in it as well the system gets hot, if i remove the battery it stay a lot cooler, so my question is..

which is better?

1 use it with battery in when using ac
2 take battery out when using ac

thank you in advance

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
leave it in. the battery is designed to be used - not stored. the notebook is also designed to be used with the battery.
lastly, if you were to jar the ac connection, you would suffer immediate shutdown, possibly corrupting files (this can also happen during a power dip); your battery is a safeguard for both of these scenarios.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
leave it in. the battery is designed to be used - not stored. the notebook is also designed to be used with the battery.
lastly, if you were to jar the ac connection, you would suffer immediate shutdown, possibly corrupting files (this can also happen during a power dip); your battery is a safeguard for both of these scenarios.

Agreed. Also if you notice that your battery is getting really really hot (and it is definitely the battery getting hot not something else) get it checked at an Apple store. The battery should not be getting super hot under normal conditions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.